What lenses do I need?

rob_de_r

absolutely! i just got my 20d a week ago,(upgrade from drebel) and have enjoyed digital slr photography greatly. i use the 28 135 most of the time but use the 18 55 when i want a little wide angle action. i have waited a year to decide what lens i really want and miss. my next purchase will be the 10-22 and then the 70-200 f4. you will probably get the most use and satisfaction from the 17-40, and will soon find that you wont have much use for the 18-55. you cound sell it and buy the 50 1.8 for an even swap.

Congratulations. I think you've got a lot to start with. If you like portraits and low light shots, you may get a fast prime like the 50/1.8.

Although you don't really need the 18-55 since the 17-40 is a much better lens, you may still keep it 'cause its so small and light weight. Sometimes I find the 17-40 a bit bulky when the cam has to fit in a small bag. If that doesn't apply to you, get rid of it (and take the money to buy the 50/1.8).

I've finally put together my "complete" 10D lens outfit. 15mm f2.8, 17-40 f4L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400L.

You'll be able to determine with your current lenses what focal lengths you like. If you turn out to be a tele-shooter, that 75-300 will be replaced....soon.

Thanks all for the respons. You are right...it's a bit dumb to buy first and then start asking questions. I bought at least two good things...the camera and the EF 17-40mm 1:4 USM. I see that some of you don't like the EF 75-300mm 1:4- 5.6 III that much? I'll take the advise of getting the EF 50mm f/1.8 II and read everything in this forum.