Summicron M 75/2.0

Bruno, you're right, it does say that. But how much could the packaging weigh? I did notice that it has a floating element (pair) for close up performance/ Once Leica developed the technique to do this in a limited amount of space (as in the 50/1.4 ASPH M), they will use the same technique on other lenses. Just like the ASPH technology to make reliable aspherical surfaces without had grinding and polishing, which started with the 35/1.4 ASPH-M.

Danish VAT is 25 %, so 1777 EURO Excl VAT is 2221,25 EURO Incl. VAT.

Photographica say they have begun taking orders.

It seems that the 90 AA and the 75/1.4 are both big and heavy and obstruct the viewfinder - so this lens ought to become a great success. I hope they will make it in black paint as well.

How about we're a tiny company without the resources of Cosina and with much higher labor costs that needs to somehow recoup the design costs for a lens that is not made for the mass market and will not sell in large numbers. The C/V lens does not have a floating element nor does it use rare glasses, nor is it as well made, nor is it even F/2. Yes, there are people willing to pay more money for a better product, hard though it is to believe.

IMO, it is annoucements/initiatives like this that is driving this company to the brink of chapter 11. has anyone ever complained about the performance of the 75'lux? does anyone really need a 75/2.0 apsh when there is a stellar 90/2 asph available?

Instead of trying to attract new users by e.g. introducing a stipped down M6 without meter with only one VF option priced at $999 and then try to make up for it on lenses, Leica AG continues to engineer for the sake of engineering. Companies that ignore customer wants and needs, and let engineers decide what is "best" have never, and will never, survive in a market economy.

What kind of management team do the have other there? I'm so happy I'm not an investor in Leica AG...

I think I'll stick to my 50 Cron and take one step forward, or my 90 Cron and take one step backward, should work unless someone nails my shoes to the floor. Those two lenses together cost me less than half the 75 Cron and give me much more flexibility.

Patrick, have you ever thought about the possibility that there ARE some people out there who want a 75/2 APO lens (we have had several threads about exactly this lens). I can see that if they made something that you want (like the cheap M body), other people who wanted something else might complain. BTW, there are cheaper M bodies available from Konica and Cosina. Not happy with those? How about the new ZI, less expensive than an M7. I don't see any need for Leica to compete in markets it can't possibly win.

It's hard to believe Leica waste R&D resources on this and the 90mm "Macro" Elmar when they so desperately need to get the digital M body developed. In the mean time, as Patrick suggests, they need an entry level (even sub $2000 would be a start) M body to keep users investing in the system.

They absolutely need to compete especially with the M mount options ever widening. The ZI could do massive damage to Leica sales - but not if you could buy a decent Leica body for a couple of hundred $'s more. Perhaps Leica should restart M4-2 production in Canada, whoops, sorry, I meant M6-2 production in China...

What Leica probably needs to do, in the short term, is to undercut the second hand market: I've heard claims that the lively trade in used bodies and lenses (which are of good and reliable quality) is what stops many people buying new.

A simpler, but still high quality new body, might, if the price is right, seem like an attractive proposition for an entrant to Leica rangefinder, or, as a trouble free back up for one who's already comitted and make them think twice about the risks of secondhand.

Whether this is economically feasible for Leica, who knows. But to lose out to the secondhand market of your own product seems unfortunate.

I don't think the resources that were used to design the 75mm 1:2 are the same resources that would be used to design a digital M. Completely different skill sets. I think (someone said this on another thread) that the new 75mm is part of the strategy for the digital M.. If you assume a 1.2 ~ 1.25 magnification ratio, the 75mm becomes the equivalent of a 90mm. And the 75mm summilux is too large and expensive.

But I agree that the 90mm macro makes no sense.

On a separate point, Leica doesn't need to make a "cheap" M. Remember that Porsche almost kill themselves when they tried to make a cheap Porsche. Remember the 914? If you want an inexpensive Leica, buy a used one. There are plenty of near mint and exc+ cameras out there.

Now, if they want to build an interesting lens, I'd start with a 15mm (unless they want to give that market to Zeiss) and either a 35-50-75 or a 35-50-75-90 Tri- or Quad- Elmar. My $0.02

Whatever Leicas' situation I think this is a great idea. Now the ASPH lens' pretty much cover the whole range. Think of the ASPH lens' as the "New School" look, the older lens "Old School"

The 75 'lux is great as it is, but in order to get a really sharp image it ought to be at 2.8-4. I've shot my 75 vs my late model 90 2.8 (perfect at 2.8) and the 75 needs to be 2 stops from WO to match it or hope to match it. If you shoot both wide open the 90 2.8 will win in contrat and resolution of detail. But you don't always want that.

But the 75 'lux WO has a wonderful look like the pre-ASPH 35, the "old 50 'lux" and pre-ASPH 90 summicron.

We now have a full line of new and old look lens'. What other maker offers that?<div>00BVY8-22366084.jpg.c36189ca06db40aa2292ee0394e9701a.jpg</div>