Yashica Electro Questions

summitar

In the past couple of weeks, I took possession of three Yashica

Electros, very clean looking, and I have suitable batteries. I have

not yet had the opportunity to take any photos with them.

(1) Since the light meter is offset from the lens, is there anyway to

compensate for a filter other than changing the ISO setting?

(2) The GSN version makes a distinct deep ker-plunk sound during the

first 20-30 degrees of the film advance lever. As best I can tell,

via dry shooting, the shutter does adjust for different lighting

conditions.

(3) Neither of the two G versions makes the ker-plunk sound. I have

not been able to verify that the shutter duration is varied according

to available light. Does this mean that I have just one operable

shutter speed, namely 1/500 second?

What I have been able to determine from mine (an early electro), the ISO change is the only way to compensate since these don't have any exposure compensation feature.

<BR><BR>

As far as the shutter sounds goes, I have no suggestions.

<BR><BR>

One the speed of the G units, if the battery is not working properly, (i.e. old corrosion, etc) you will have only one speed. If the battery tests out, you may have a loose wire (common) or some other electrical problem.

<BR><BR>

Check this site, <A href="http://www.yashica-guy.com">Yashica Guy</A> for more details and repair info. He has detailed images and text for troubleshooting and repairs.

<BR><BR>

-Randy

It will be a miracle if you find one of these cameras in working condition. Take it from me, I've owned many of them. Your best hope is to get a late model GSN or GTN, the earlier models almost never work. The electronics deteriorate and so does a foam pad that is vital to the camera's operation (and is VERY difficult to replace). Consult the Classic Camera Repair Forum for details. The batteries are darn hard to find too.

Kerry --

The "ker-plunk" sound most likely means that your camera IS working correctly. A lack of this sound is not good news. This is the sound of the camera's exposure system resetting as you wind on. The above-mentioned foam pads have likely rotted away, meaning no "ker-plunk". It's not in an easy place to work on, either. I had one of mine CLA'd for $78. Now it has a nice deep "thunk".

And yes, changing the ISO setting is the only way to compensate for a filter. It's not a big deal: just remember to change it back after you remove the filter! :)

I too have had many of the models in the Yashica G series most worked or did so after minimal repairs.

There should be a clunk on winding if not then the infamous pad is worn/missing. This is quite easy to replace, either merely by working with the top removed or better by a bit of further stripping down to get at it from the front.

Many of the electronic failures and inconsistencies are cured with an application of contact cleaner to the three wipers also accessed from the front or less easily from the top. Total electronic failure is very often caused by the wire connected to the negative side of the battery becoming unsoldered or corroded. Remove top and re-solder.

The battery originally fitted was a 5.6v mercury composed of 4 x 640 cells. This can be replaced with either a modern alkaline version (A32PX, PX32A) or adapt a smaller lithium battery to fit (tube/washer/spring) voltage between 4.5v - 6.5v is ok. UK source of correct alkaline is http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/

Much information can be found by searching the archives of The Classic Camera Repair Forum http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/

As many have noted, the "clunk" is a good thing. They came this way when new. I know because I bought two new ones in the seventies. Still have one of them which finally quit working after being dropped for the umteenth time. It was my "take EVERYwhere" camera for two-plus decades, and it got beat to bits before it finally quit.

Batteries are easy, despite what another would have you believe. Write to the afore-mentioned Yashica Guy. He's been selling adaptors for these cameras for years. About $12 last time I ordered one, and when the battery in the adaptor dies you can replace it with a common cell from any drug store for $4. Follow the positive advice given here if your Yashicas need a little fixing up. A little bit of clean-up and you will have a camera that will work great for a long time, and they have terrific meter and lens.

Maybe there are a few items out there which will work even with a deteriotated pad. Looking inside an Electro35 will sometimes remind you of a russian camera - mechanical design is not great and tolerances are high. Also, I once used a replacement pad cut from industrial grade rubber sheet. The clunk is still there but much less audible than with the original pad.

However, even the manual of the much more advanced 35GX mentiones that you should hear a faint click (actually a clunk) when moving the advance crank which means that the light meter is reset. The later models (35CC, 35GX, 35FC) avoid the pad but basically have the same meter switch and shutter release design.

(1)Must change the ISO setting to compensate for filter.

(2)Maybe everybody's description of sound is different, but my Electro G doesn't make a 'ker-plunk' sound. Mine is more of a 'clip' sound. And the winding is a constant 'tick-tick-tick-tick' until you've reached the end of the wind. Make sure the outter ring is set to auto and try firing the shutter while going into a dark room and see if the delay varies in clicks.

I have two Electro Gs. The first one is the one I use and is a great camera that, when I need to be sure to get the shot, is the first one I'll grab. The 2nd one I bought thinks I can shoot hand-held in complete darkness. It's weird; it understands overexposure but not under.

• 1 year later...