Problems w/ 10D and off cord 2

diy photography

I have a Canon eos 5 and a 540 EZ. I also own a 10D and a 550 EX The Off

Camera Shoe Cord 2 works with the EOS 5 and a 540 EZ. It will not however

work with the 10D and a 550 EX. Any clues to what might be going on? I

noticed that the manual for the 10D doesn't list the Off Camera Shoe Cord 2

with the other accessories. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

I had just the opposite experience. I bought an off-camera cord 2 a few years ago when I owned an Elan 7. The cord never worked on that camera. Instead of sending it back I just put it in the box and didn't try using it again. Then about 15 months ago when I bought my Digital Rebel I pulled that cord out again before buying a new one and, for whatever reason, it worked and has continued to do so on that camera and the subsequent 10D I bought about 9 months ago.

Very odd. My off-shoe cord doesn't work with my 10D and 540EZ unless the flash is in manual mode. The 540EZ and my EOS 1n, however, work brilliantly with the cord. My Sigma 500 Super (which is the poor man's 550EX) works perfectly with my 10D, though.

Check the contacts and try the 550EX in different modes (E-TTL, TTL, manual, etc.) Best of luck!

Robert, the 540EZ will not work with any of Canon's DSLRs except as a manual flash. It's not the cord that's causing your problems, it's the incompatibility of camera & flash.

In any case there shouldn't be a problem with the OCSC2 on a 10D/550EX. They're supposed to work fine together. Sounds like you have a defective one, Chris, or perhaps just dirty contacts.