what is is the best affordable wide lens for a D70?

bob_mcdonald2

what is is the best affordable wide lens for a D70? I don't want to

spend a lot and I am planning to be shooting this summer in low-

light situations in a big house in England. I have the kit lens and

a 50mm 1.8. I was thinking of perhaps the 24mm 2.8 AF D, not crazy

expensive and it is close to being a 35mm in film- (if it's good

enough for cartier-bresson . . .) normal and kind of wide too. Any

suggestions? The good thing I could use this on my Nikon F when I am

in the mood for film. Any suggestions?

On a film body, a 35mm is merely a very moderate wide angle. If that work for you, the 24mm is clearly the way to go and then the question is whether f2.8 is sufficient for you.

Personally, I would go with a 20mm/f2.8 because it is wider and should work better for interior shots. However, it is a couple hundred dollars more and is a super-wide for film, which makes it a more extreme lens for film and therefore not as useful as a 24mm.

It all boils down to personal shooting style and preference, and only you can decide those for yourself.

For everyday all-situations use i'd prefer the 2.0/35mm lens. Its sharp and its fast.

Next would be the 2.8/24mm which has a nice wide angle and almost no distortion at all (would be very useful on architecture).

For landscape you also may worship the 2.8/20mm which is also quite a fine lens, but definitely more expensive than the both others (and adds some distortion to your pics).

Used lenses definitely will help you to widen your possibilities on low costs :-))

best regards

I got alot of mileage out of a 24/2.8 AFD. Nice lense. I originally bought this for my N80. With the "crop factor" on the D70, it gives you something like a 35mm lens (37 or so, I think).

I just snagged the 12-24 zoom to give me a range of wide focal lengths, but not exactly an economical option.

Scott

The Nikon 24/2.8 is a good choice. I have one and it spends a lot of time on my D70. I keep the 35/2's HN-3 shade on it. The idea about a 20/2.8 sounds good too. I keep thinking about that one. Another affordable idea is a Tokina 17/3.5 ATX Pro. It gives you the equivelent of a 25mm and is reputed to be a very good lens.

I use the Sigma 15-30 EX on my D70. I bought it used on ebay for less than 300$. Pretty good lens generally, but with a bright sun in front of the camera - not in the picture frame - it produces a very annoying blue flare spot. It's a bit bulky for my liking.

-hash