Latest Pricing News From Leica

I mentioned in another thread of seeing a NIB M7 with a 3000 Euro price tag on it including IVA/VAT. That's around $4000. People in the USA used to make more, on average, than any but the Swiss. I don't know how many countries have leap-frogged us, maybe Germany and the UK. The $US has been more stable against the Yen and most other Asian and Latin American countries.

As to why I'm bummed out, it's because I like RF photography and I don't view it as some kind of historical trip or anything. Bought my first RF cameras this year (not counting a Canonet 28 I got when I was 13 or so).

I yearn to see some degree of market expansion and technological progress in the RF photography world, not further retreat into niche collector status. I want to see a variable mag finder, a flash system to rival Nikon's, a faster tri-Elmar style lens that includes a 90mm FL, a digital M style body, a pair of small P&S digital cameras with APS sized sensors and a choice of superb 35 or 50mm FL lenses, an auto-wind film body (not an external winder), a built in spot meter. You get the idea. Whatever - I want to see progress in RF cameras, not some pathetic historical or collector trip. I don't yearn for the days of the M3's reign. And that means Leica R&D dollars and that means a market size to support it.

I'd like to buy new stuff. I'd like to pay some small premium over comparable Nikon high-end gear (28/1.4 and the like), but I just can't justify a new 50/1.4 ASPH at Leica's current prices (no matter how hard I try). I'd like my brother to snag a Leica for himself, some yet-to-be-designed affordable model. He likes mine, but like MOST camera buyers, he doesn't haunt PN looking for good bargains like I do. He like to buy new stuff at a store - duh.

I dream. Reading a bit of LFI, I'll try to put the announcement in Leica speak. "In August of 2005, Leica announced a mid-priced digital M camera and a new series of lenses. A Sony APS sensor provides an impressive 10 megapixels with excellent noise control up to 1600 ISO. A new metering system provides aperture priority operation and Leica's traditional semi-spot metering along with three new metering modes - a new center weighted mode, a dedicated true spot metering mode and a sophistical new L-TTL flash metering system.

"A new f4 Wide Tri-Elmar provides 20, 24 and 28 35mm equivalent focal lengths and accounts for difficulties in using traditional Leica wide lenses with digital sensors. Leica also announced a new line of mid priced prime lenses that deliver 35/2, 50/2 and 90/2.8 35mm equivilent focal lengths on the APS sensor. According to a Leica spokesman, the f1.4 lenses are less necessary with the excellent high ISO performance of the digital sensor.

"A new variable frameline, variable magnification optical VF accomodates the new digital lenses along with framing traditional M-mount lenses.

"A new flash system features a pocket flash unit as well as a full featured tilt/swivel flash with a high guide number, included diffuser and bounce card. Both flash units take advantage of the new body's 1/500 flash sync speed. The new flash systems takes advantage of Leica's new L-TTL flash metering. The new L-TTL flash metering system provides sophisticated fill flash metering, and the flash system supports full master/slave flash functionality with the use of additional Leica flash units.

"In a departure from tradiontal M camera build and manufacturing tradition, the new camera build is of a sturdy plastic polymer build over an all metal chasis. The lenses feature plastic barrels but metal mounts and filter threads. The cameras, lenses and flash units are manufactured in new facilities in Japan and China. A Leica spokesperson said that German engineers worked extensively to insure high quality standards in the new factories using modern manufacturing methods. He added that Leica's goal is to bring the joys of RF photography and Leica optical quality to the new generation of digital camera user at a price point in line with modern camera buyer expectations.

"A "1-year" special commemorative introductory kit will be available with the Wide-Elmar lens, the 50/2 Summicron-D and the high guide number flash unit at a discounted price of $1,800 USD."

Sorry for the essay, but oh, a man can dream :-)

Scott

The US dollar is stable against the Japanese, South Korean, and Chinese currencies because they are buying up US treasury debt as issued. Their economies are dependent on exports to the US, and they are accumulating vast piles of dollars. So they buy the debt to keep their currencies from soaring against the dollar. If they didn't, the prices realized at the auctions of treasury notes and bills would plummet, and US interest rates would properly reflect how fast the US government is printing money to pay for certain expenses (for which they dare not raise taxes).

The European Currency Union is not choosing to do this, as not all of their countries care if the dollar weakens. Indeed, the Germans have a preference (since 1945) for a strong currency, due to past experience with hyperinflation...

Certainly part of the issue is to keep their revenue stream in Euros at least partially steady in the face of the declining dollar. But...<p>

As Ben asked, "If the price increase is due to exchange rates, then that means only US prices are going up, those paying with Euros won't be seeing any increase?" I can say the European prices <i>have already been increased</i>. New MP/M7 in early december was 3200 Euros. Late december, Leica offered a 500 Euro reduction (not a rebate, a reduction). New list prices in April have the cameras at 3300 Euros. Same thing for UK prices. And yes, the same applies to the lenses.<p>

It appears that after some initial panic price cutting, they've decided to firmly embrace the policy of making the Leica a Veblen good.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had Leicas since 1965, first M2 with a leicavit, then MP # 302 which I sold lately to a collector... Now I am using M4-P and M4-2. I have a variety of lenses: Summicron 50mm:2 and 35mm:2, canon 50mm 1,2 Minolta 28mm 2,8 and a nikon F 20mm 2,8 with an adapter. I must say I am a Leica addict. I am little upset about the current talk of future M leicas. Meter, loading, winder, all should be changed ? In my opinion the biggest mistake leica made was to issue "collectors edition" leicas. That put pro users off more than anything else. It gave an impression that the old stuff was better than new. leicas belonged to air conditioned vaults, which is ridiculous! My idea of a perfect Leica is a simpler rangefinder mechanism. truly shock proof body maybe even two layer metal/plastic body with soft lining in between. Loading with a reloadable cassette again, but with a film advance with a rapidwinder lever that first takes the film to last frame and winds it slowly back in the cassette, so that the exposed frames are inside the cassette. Bigger shutter dial, rapidwinder as standard or motor winder. Life size 1:1 finder for 50 and 35mm lenses (zoom finder), yellow contrasty metering spot ( like in Contax II)

NO METER (if you cannot expose propely, go to new Rolle R3 film, it has a latitude from 64 asa to 1600 asa) Made in Taiwan or China, priced in US dollars...

Why meter?? Tri-X sunshine: 500/11, in shadow or overcast 250/8, indoors usually in normal room light 60/4 or 5,6. Meter don?t tell if it is dark back ground, if it is contrasty light, if it is sea or snow scene. You have to adjust mentally or by trial and error. better then just to remember or judge less meter from beginning. Also there is no "Zone exposure meter"... Nikon F5 meter should be able to judge the background, color values. but I can say it is B***S !