Digital Rebel XT unveiled

25asa

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am *highly* surprised to see a *new* sensor. Does not make sense unless. . .it is notably inferior to the one in the 20D or more likely. . .the 20D is going get a face lift.

So with selectable exposure modes, FEC, focus modes, AND mirror lockup. . .this camera is alot closer to a 20D than one would expect. I imagine that the key differences are the 9pt af system (with high precision center sensor) and speed. Interesting. NOT software crippled.

As for the 60mm 2.8 EF-S -> I will post my opinion in a different thread.

"I am *highly* surprised to see a *new* sensor. Does not make sense unless. . .it is notably inferior to the one in the 20D or more likely. . .the 20D is going get a face lift."

I think you'll be able to expect a face lift in the next year as Canon has shown that the lower end cameras, clearly, are taking benefit of the amortization of the R&D which goes into their higher end bodies.

In the case of the new Rebel XT, there are fewer pixels, which makes for, I'm betting, larger pixels, which means possibly even lower noise characteristics then the 20D.

All of this translates into profit for Canon and a much more enjoyable photographic experience for us photographers.

The article describes it as a new sensor and comments that it's the 4th new sensor developed by Canon in the last 12 months (1D mkII, IDs mkII, 20D). Doesn't sound like it's the 20D sensor, though I wouldn't be too surprised if they shared some common features. It is a bit surprising that they didn't just use the same sensor. Maybe the one in the XT is slightly cheaper to produce. I think sensor cost is a major part of the price and if they're working to keep the price down, perhaps they thought it worth the development cost. Just a guess. Nothing more.

Here is an excerpt from my WSJ Online edition.

The new Canon digital SLR, the Digital Rebel XT, will cost $899 for the camera body or $999 with a lens. It has a resolution of eight megapixels, compared with six megapixels for the old model, and is two ounces lighter, at 17 ounces. The camera will be in stores next month.

The article is called Upgrading From Point and Shoot it was just released today for you WSJ online users.

I'm taking all the info with a grain of salt of course, but I'm thinking there isn't much reason for an existing Rebel owner to upgrade. The only major improvement I see over a hacked 300 is the startup time (which drives me nuts). Yes, there are others, but they aren't terribly significant to *me*. And there's something about that mode dial/on switch that looks cheap and flimsy to me (nevermind the silver ring). The different battery pack is a big negative too - this trend toward non-interchangeable parts is starting to concern me.

I'd decided to get a 20D but was kind of waiting on PMA announcements to see if there would be a replacement Rebel and if it would be a contender. Early indications are it isn't, and I'll get my 20D... as soon as my lens rebates come back. :) I'll keep an eye out for actual reviews and offical announcements while I wait though.

It makes sense for Canon to have 3 or even 4 levels of DSLR to capture different market. But I don't feel good to get rid of the proven BP511 (as a status of different level?) to have the size down. To use the "original" battery might increase the length of the camera for a few mm (<5?) and the claimed weight are without the battery, which would not hurt the ad. at all. If it's necessary to concern the size to such extent, why don't use SD instead of CF?

If you read the release carefully, you can find where it says, "Full time manual override is available with all EF Auto Focus lenses,"

I'm not sure how to read that part about FTM. This probably does not mean that CF#4 is implemented, but how does the work with "all EF" lenses? Even non USM lenses?

Maybe the new battery is cheaper. Remember that they're trying to keep costs down as much as possible. When you're shooting for a $899.99 selling price, saving a few $ on the battery makes sense, especially if you can make the camera smaller as well.

It's a Rebel. They're going to make it as small and inexpensive as they can to appeal to the new digital consumer customer. They're not trying to sell it as a backup camera for the 1Ds.

Don't mention using SD memory. Someone at Canon may be listening...

"I am a little burned that Canon switched the battery pack... very dissapointing.

I have a sizeable investment in 300D batteries; in fact I just recieved 2 new

BP511As today and Canon's double charger for my camera :-("

I'm really upset between that and the battery grip. I got 2 off brand 511s

yesterday and the double charger last week. Maybe if we're lucky, they'll

make a BG-E4 that takes BP-511s...and monkeys might fly outta my arse. I

figured that since they used the BG-ED3 on the D30, D60 and D10 that either

the BG-E1 or 2 would be good for a couple of model changes. Suckers.

I hope this does help reduce the price on the 20d sooner than later though.

i dont understand why so many people are bent out of shape over a battery my iBook and

Powerbook have different batteries, and my Sony Ericsson T226 & T637 have different

batteries, point is they are same company but different products, basically who cares, you

would think they charged you for the batteries separately.

Actually for someone using multiple camera bodies, interchangability of accessories is a factor. It's very convenient to be able to carry one type of battery, one battery charger, one remote release, one type of memory card etc., instead of having to carry a different one for each camera.

But as I said, Canon don't see the Digital Rebel series as backup cameras for pros. If they want a backup to the 1D or 1Ds, they'll get a 20D, so Canon don't design the Rebel series for compatibility. They design for size and cost.

Maybe not for you, but there are lots of people drooling over it. Of course in 18 months it will be obsolete and people will be waiting for the next one, but for a while it will keep people happy and there will be a waiting list. That's what business is all about.

It's a significant upgrade of the Digital Rebel, but a camera is a camera is a camera - and it's only a camera!