Crazy flare with flash

tristanlaing

I shot this with a 50 F1.4 wide open with ttl Flash (1/250th of a

second). Some shots were completely ruined by the flares. Is it

normal to have this kind of flaring with a lens shot wide open with

flash? It was quite wet, there may have been some water on the uv

filter.<div>00BV5t-22351384.thumb.jpg.61dc8881136f78f36a3558fac4c933cf.jpg</div>

Tristan - You get these back scatter reflections from water drops in the air when the flash is fired off. Usually they look smaller than that, though. If there was water on the filter, you will also get this effect. The water acts as a second lens and will do all sorts of fun things to your photo.

Vivek just said: " ... Why have the filter? Silly post...."

I would NOT think it silly to have a filter to protect the lens in the rain. I can clean my filters with soap and water. Have you ever tried doing this with a lens? To get off rain drop or surf spray residue ???

Silly reply!

Now why did the poster shoot wide open? Why did he underexpose? Why compose so poorly? Why is a good question.

I personally find the "special effect" quite pleasant.<br>Seriously, this is not flare, they're water drops on the filter or very near to the lens, lit by the flash. And if you experience flare when it's not raining, use a lens hood or a multi-coated filter. <br>It is not a good idea to use flash at big distances however. Pictures tend to be underexposed.<br>A friend of mine was shooting the Tour Eiffel with the flash on and I asked her why and she replied smiling "because it's night".<br>Best regards,<br>Federico Sartorio