Probably not a unique situation BUT?

dinksboomps

How do I put this delicately? I guess I don?t. I just got a request

for a wedding in June. Ok not unusual. Probably a very straight

forward affair, the bride wants probably 150 frames or so.

Processional, recessional, alter calls, and plenty of reception

action. Also is looking for just a nice proof book, and may or may

not order re-prints. So far so good. Nothing complicated. BUT? the

bride is how shall I say? rather large. Oddly enough, all of my

weddings so far have been small to medium brides. Need all the clues

I can get. I have plenty of time to practice before June, and a

neighbor or 2 of similar sizes to practice on for a free print or 2.

Help!

John, it's like the thread a week or so ago about the tall bride/short groom. She KNOWS she's a big woman. She may even be proud of it! And odds are her fiance is attracted to large women anyway. Why don't you discuss it with her. Be upfront about it. There are posing and lighting tricks that can put a bit less emphasis on her size but you might be worrying for naught. The very worst thing that can happen is you'll lose the booking, and probably a lot of agravation too if she's that sensitive about her size.

Sounds like large format photography is called for =P. Sorry about that, but the joke was so obvious. Anyway, it's definitely a situation that I've not considered myself, but then again, I've never done social occasions.<p>

One of the tricky bits is how comfortable the bride might be about her size and how she considers photos of herself in general, something that will be purely guesswork on your part as it would be a bit tactless to ask about that.<p>

Hope you're able to prepare for it properly and that the results are good in the end. =)<p>

It's of course almost even more important that you feel comfortable about taking the pictures than it is for her to be photographed, or else all the photos might end up bad...<p>

<a href="http://www.hakonsoreide.com/Photos">www.hakonsoreide.com</a>

A wedding dress with sleeves will flatter her. A sleveless dress, although popular will show off her arms and accentuate her. Watching her body positioning relative to the camera as well as working on the best side of her face and try for a 2/3rd's view as well as camera height can help. Having the camera looking somewhat down, having it higher, will slim her down. Lighting if properly used can help.

Go look at advertisements print & video & movies showing heavier folks and see how they utilize these aspects to create a flattering pose or if they want to accentuate the person. B&W may be better than color.

Get together with the couple. See what looks good through their eyes.

Hope this helps you!

I asked a simalar question about a bride that was pregnant back in december. The answer I got was treat and photograph the bride exactly the same way I would anyone else.

I'm constantly amazed at the difference that a pure white gown and some top notch preparation can achieve, so hopefully she'll come out looking like a babe anyway. IMHO, there is no such thing as an ugly bride, so shoot away!

Here are some basic tips:

Stay away from wide angle lenses.

Shooting down as opposed to up, and at angles as oppossed to straight on.

Put the groom, a tree or some other object in front of the brides body as a mask.

Tight head shots and creative cropping.

But like I said...just take her picture like you would anybody else.

I live in DC where it is very diverse. Last year in around twenty events my B&G's were every race, religion, age, and size with the exception of Hindo's and midget's. I'd say the only thing I've not faced yet is someone who is physically or mentally handicaped.

Some unique ones last year:

Germain Shepard bridesmaid / ring bearer that included a formal dance w/ Shep to the tune of "Who let the dogs out"

Seven groomsman that ranged in height from 6-2 to 7-1. Looked like the Denver Bronco's in Tuxes.

A Groom who spoke literally no English, and the ceremony in 100% Spanish.

A historical wedding themed at 1810 where I PS'd out items from this century. (Light swithes etc.) I also wore throw back duds.

A couple that jokingly said they wanted some 'bedroom' shots as though they would entertain the idea?

So it's now kinda...Oh lord what next? I'm sure others have some interesting scenes and experiences.

Do a search on this topic, since the previous thread several have mentioned had a tip about using the liquify command in Photoshop to help slim women. Lots of good tips above--I actually stand on a ladder and shoot down, cropping tightly, for individual and couple shots (so their bodies don't show as hugely distorted shapes below their faces). Partly because I'm short, but partly because it takes a pretty severe angle to get rid of double chins, etc. Also, not mentioned above is that sometimes, you don't want to turn the bride too much for the slimming effect if she has a protruding tummy--same for a groom. The angle has to be just so. In addition, you can use objects to partly hide double chins, such as hands, flowers, the groom's shoulder, etc. And the contra or S curve feminine pose doesn't work that well with brides with a full face. The jawline just bunches up.

I had a wedding a couple of years back: he was in a wheelchair, she was somewhat large--they were fairly pleased with the photos. Have a conversation with the bride, then just shoot the wedding and do the best you can. Photoshop can only do so much....