Portable hard drives - recommendations?

lex_jenkins

So, I've finally jumped into the digital end of the pool - at least

for most of my color photography and for whenever I need to rush a

job. (I ain't giving up b&w film in my lifetime).

I'm planning to take the D2H along on a vacation in a month or so to

supplement my usual film cameras that will be loaded up with either

Provia or Astia and Tri-X. I never really worry about whether my

film will turn out because if I haven't gotten it right after 30+

years there's not much hope for me.

However I'm a bit worried about safekeeping of my digital files. I

don't want to just lug around a bunch of CF cards. Okay, lug isn't

exactly the appropriate term for something that weighs less than an

ounce, but you get my drift.

And I don't really want to buy a notebook or laptop right now just so

that I can review images "in the field" and burn CDs as I go. I'm

still recovering from the sticker shock of buying the D2H and other

gear. And I want to squeeze in another good AF zoom before the trip.

For now I think a purpose-made portable hard drive specifically

designed for storing digital image files would be the best solution.

They're about a third of the price of the cheapest laptop or notebook

that's any good. As long as I've got the files safely stowed away in

a reliable portable drive I can wait 'til I get home to review and

edit.

Among the many manufacturers of these portable HD's there are a

couple that feature built-in color LCD screens, including Nikon's new

Coolwalker. Any reports on how reliable and sturdy these are?

I'm leaning toward The Fortress because it's reported to be the most

bulletproof portable drive available. Nothing fancy, no color LCD

screen, not another iPod wanna-be, just a brick with a hard drive

snuggled inside. It's priced about the same per GB as the other

portable drives which offer more features.

Any experiences, reports, links, suggestions will be graciously

appreciated.

The Fortress from what I understand is not a stand alone device. It needs to be connected to a PC or a Apple before you can use it to transfer photo's or any data to it. I looked at one about a year ago and this was the case then. It may have change since then so someone correct me if I am wrong. If you want a stand alone device you would need to go something like the Nikon Coolwalker or a portable CD writer that can accept CF cards directly.

Lex, I have the 20gb flashtrax. It's not terribly fast but it's been very dependable and will display NEF files even from my D2X, which is something PS can't do. You just stick the CF in its slot and push a button and you're done. 20gb was plenty of space for 2 weeks in Italy. I can't see putting out another $100+ for 40gb or the coolwalker.

Hey there,

I went through the same decision about a year ago and again just recently. Back then, I purchased a SmartDisk FlashTrax 40gb unit that had a 3.5" LCD screen along with compact flash backup, mp3 playback, video playback, and general file storage. I used this for several months, but had three concerns: first, I rarely used the display screen even with the newly added RAW viewer firmware updates but rather simply used the device as an image tank; second, the battery life was shorter than I would have liked, probably from driving the screen; third, data transfer from card to device was rather slow. As a result, about a month ago, I purchased an EZDigiMagic 40gb device that was a bare-bones image tank. I am finding much better battery life without all the bells and whistles and pretty good backup/restore speed as well. I've also dropped it once on the ground more than once, and it continued to work fine. This is my opinion only, of course, but I think this is a good, basic device for use as an image tank.

The key factors, really, are determining what you want and/or need. In my research, I considered the input method (specific memory card types with/without adapters, direct dock to camera, PC only, etc.), storage capacity and storage type (CD-R, DVD-R, or HD), display screen (for images versus simple informative display, RAW display capable), battery life (including use of backup or removeable batteries, gb stored per charge ratio), output method (USB 1.1/2.0, FW, or media based), and additional features (mp3/video playback, file storage, ability to act as a PC memory card reader/external HD, cable connectors for image display on TV, etc.). A list of the devices I researched is included below. I am not sure if this is complete, but these are all I found on my own about a month ago.

CD/DVD Based Solutions: Delkin BurnAway Portable 3-in-1 Combo Media Burner, Jobo Image Maestro Pro, Jobo Apacer Disc Steno CP200, MicroSolutions RoadStor (CD), MicroSolutions RoadStor (DVD), EZDigiMagic Portable CDR Burner

Hard Drive Based without (Image) Screens: Adorama Image Tank, Jobo Giga X, Jobo Giga 2, Jobo Giga Mini, Smartdisk FotoChute (direct dock), Nixvue Digital Album 2 series, Nixvue Digital Album Light 2 series, EZDigiMagic series, Sony Hard Disk Photo Storage Device, Olympus S-HD-100 Photo Life (direct dock), Wolverine SixPac 6-in-1 Media Reader series

Hard Drive Based with (Image) Screen: Jobo Giga Vu Pro series, Smartdisk FlashTrax series, Nixvue Vista series, Delkin Devices eFilm Picture Pad, Epson P-2000 Photoviewer, Nikon Coolwalker MSV-01, MediaGear Flash HD to Go Portable series, MediaGear ImageBank OTG series (direct dock), Alera Digital Photo Copy Cruiser Plus

As for the 4tress line, I cannot comment on them as I have not used them. I was under the impression, though, that these units were simply ruggedized (careful here, this has variable definitions in the industry), external USB and FW hard drives. I am not aware of a direct docking cability (camera dependent?), but please correct me if I am wrong.

Hope this helps.

Thomas

I use and recommend the Epson P-2000. It is the same price as the Coolwalker but has a greater capacity, better display, and more features. Battery life is good, but I cannot comment on how rugged it is. Personally, I very much like the display feature, as it is fun to review and make an initial cut of each day's photos, especially on a screen as nice as the P-2000's. The P-2000 can download files directly from and to a computer, CF card, and SD card. It will store all types of files and will display thumbnails of most, including Canon RAW files. Most files, including JPEGs imbedded in RAW files, can be displayed full-screen; the only full-screen restriction is files above 8.8 mb (I believe). My one complaint with the P-2000 is that it renames files stored on it, except files stored in the "PC-Data" folder. For the moment, I am using that folder as my back-up hard drive to archive my images.

My only personal experience is with X-Drive's Pro, with a 40GB Fujitsu HD inside (of course, you can put any brand you want in). It cost me about $180-200 (I live in Taiwan - not sure of the exact exchange rate).

I used it on a 3 week trip to Thailand with my 20D, and it worked as it should. Insert CF card, press button and it copies the files. No errors in any of them. It doesn't have a viewing screen though.

Also had to use it at a wedding 2 weeks ago. I was there as a guest, not the photographer, but the main photographer (who was a friend of the bride and shooting the wedding for free), ran out of film partway through the reception, so he asked me to take over. Of course, I'd already filled up my 1GB card, and the 2GB was close to full, so did a quick file dump from the 1GB (took about 10 mins), and had it there if I needed it (I didn't - I think I had less than 10 shots of space left on the 2GB by the time the last guest left. A pressure situation, but the X-Drive again worked perfectly, (as did the camera - my nerves were another story).

Sorry to digress there.

Craig

<p><i>Any reports on how reliable and sturdy these are?</i>

<p>Just a quick reminder: HDs are more likely to fail than solid state memory. Especially

in the field. Generally speaking reliable and sturdy do not appear in the description of

HDs.

<p>Incidentally the external drive where I keep a life copy of all my photos fall to the foor

last week and within two days, the disk was dead. It did not fall from very high (a low

table) and my cards often sustend more shock without ill effects.

<p>BTW no photos were lost thanks to archives and backups but it was a strong reminder

not to leave important material on a single HD.

<p>If I did not had enough cards to last me a whole holiday, I would rather buy a few slow

cards (there's enough buffer in a D2H and you can save the high-spec cards for when you

know you'll need the speed) than a portable HD. I had to get an HD, I would get two and

backup on both drives.

<p>--ben

I know this is a photo forum, but let me add my $0.02 worth on the merits of USB devices. (Which I do find useful, by the way)

USB is not a peer-to-peer network (so be aware of that if all you're looking for is a portable image tank). USB requires an operating system, although in 2001, "USB On-The-Go" was introduced in a supplement to the 2.0 specification. USB On-The-Go defines a set of reduced capabilities for simple, stand-alone embedded devices that operate with a single USB peripheral. A USB OTG device will also plug into a computer, just like a normal USB device. That's probably what being used on many of the portable devices mentioned in this thread.

Otherwise, you're going to need to lug your PC around, which pretty much defeats the whole purpose.

As for USB speed, three data rates are defined:

USB 1.x = Low Speed (LS) at 1.5 Mbps and Full Speed (FS) at 12 Mbps.

Note, (LS) is hardly ever seen.

USB 2.0 = High Speed (HS) at 480 Mbps, + all of the above for backwards compatibility.

You can tell which speed your hardware has by looking at the USB logo. Search online for the two main logo styles.

For comparison & reference, the much more capable FireWire (Apple's name for IEEE-1394), runs 400 Mbps. Note: A new IEEE-1394.b promises 3.2 Gbps (6x faster than today's FW). Firewire is "peer-to-peer", meaning peripherals can "talk" directly to each other as well as directing a single communication to multiple receivers simultneously. (And now you know why it's more expensive than USB...!)

As for power drain, it's complicated.

USB peripherals can draw power directly from the bus with some limits. The USB Standards define both bus-powered and self-powered USB devices. To simply this dicussion, USB "Hubs" can only deliver so much current (without voltage sag). A USB peripheral can be bus, host or hub powered up to 100mA, providing that all connected devices, taken together, meet certain constraints. A device that needs up to 500mA "may" be bus powered PROVIDED the operating system (and USB Host Controller) will allow it. Many battery-powered USB devices do not permit this. Then, it gets even more complicated with Power-down suspend rates, etc... I won't bore you with the details.

We actually looked at putting USB in one of our products, which explains how I know all this stuff. But it turns out you have to have a developers license, obtain a Vendor ID (for device enumeration), get a product ID to identify the peripheral to the operating system, etc.... Then you get the thrill of dealing with the Microsoft and Apple operating systems. Oh Joy! Turns out you can bypass a lot of this by using certain manufacturer's chips, but all-in-all, we decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

Hope you find all this useful, if a bit confusing.

Just remember, the "price" of flexibility is complexity.

Get Wolverine 6-in-1 USB hard disk with memory readers for most all types of digital camera memories. It comes in 20, 40, or 60 GB of memory. Inner rechargeable memory lasts for 1.8 hour, that is more that adequate to transfer entire disk even at the lower speed USB 1.1. Serves as next letter hard disk when connected to your computer.

It has LCD screen that displays only status and mode of operations. You cannot preview pictures, but it costs $129. Comes with universal voltage charger and power supply.

My recent trip to Costa Rica was a breeze with a portable CD-Burner I'd purchased at B&H for $150. It was very lightweight, and a small, store-bought case for blank CDs too was simple to keep with me.

Advantages here, I felt:

1. The Cds allowed instant archiving of RAW files.

2. Data transfer verified

3. Blank-looking Cds very unattractive to theives, as opposed to shiny gadgets.

You slip the CF card in, pop in a CD-R, it whirs, it beeps when it's done. Throw the Cds into the hotel safe or car trunk, no need to lug anything around all day.

If you haven't gotten it right after 30+ years, then the Epson P-2000 is for you. You can sit in your hotel room each evening with a glass of wine and watch a slide show of all the images you just took on the breathtakingly beautiful P-2000 screen. Zoom in to check your focus or exposure details. Possibly you can re-shoot the images you are not happy with the next day, or if you are on safari, just drink the whole bottle of wine and vow to do better next time.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

The CD solutions may not be glamorous but they seem the most efficient. However that means one CD per 512MB card, but hey, they're cheap and light. You can afford to make two CDs per card at the price they're at now.

Apple seems to have got it right with the new iPod Photo cable which connects to the camera directly. But the iPod would be a bit too expensive I think.

In my view it's sensible to ditch the laptop idea. They're too big and they negate the practicality of digital photography (no need to carry around rolls of film). They're great thief-bait, too. Better than a whole can of worms, even.

One solution which I like is just a stack of CF cards or MicroDrives. MicroDrives are more reliable outside the camera (not as vulnerable to static electricity, or so they say) while flash cards are more reliable inside the camera (no moving parts; they handle physical shock well).

A nice bunch of 256MB and 512MB cards should do you fine. This is following the usual advice of not having too big a card, lest it become corrupt or lost. In other words, don't put all the eggs (exposures) in one basket (CF card). CF cards are portable, require no power and can be easily stored, hidden, carried or posted.

Now all you have to decide is whether to shoot RAW or JPEG. :-P At least lower-res cameras like the D2H don't produce huge RAW files. You'll lose in resolution over a D2X's JPEGs but at least you'll gain depth and the ability to adjust colour etc. IMHO you should shoot RAW - what is the D2H's RAW output, like 6MB? Not that much, really.

Finally, do let us know where you're going and show us pics when you get back. :-)

Lex - for straightforward, no frills, fast transfer, just get the job done tool, the CompactDrive PD7X is the one to get. It's powered by AA batteries and uses ordinary interchangeable laptop drives.

I myself have an X's Drive Pro, but only becuase I got mine before the CompactDrive was released. If I needed to get one today, I'd get the CompactDrive.

You can order it here:

http://store.yahoo.com/insidecomputer/

I got my X's Drive Pro from them -- they're only a few miles from work. They are legit and completely reliable.

Good luck!

KL

<i>Or am I missing something? - Arnab</i>

<p><p>

Arnab - for a day's shoot, you're right -- I would think that 2 2GB would be sufficient. But if you're on a 2-3 week trip....

<p><p>

Also, no one ever said that a portable drive is for photos ONLY. I use mine for a variety of file types that have nothing to do with photography.

Thanks, all. Based on what I've shot this week between today and mid-morning Monday when the D2H arrived, I could fill up a 1GB CF card every day.

Naturally they're not all keepers, But I could easily fill up 20 gigs worth of CF cards in a 3-4 week trip. That's no longer cost effective. For that money I could go ahead and buy a halfway decent laptop or notebook, or two of the biggest, baddest Fortress portable hard drives.

I may be worrying too much about getting the sturdiest possible portable HD. I'm pretty careful with my equipment and probably wouldn't drop anything valuable. A portable storage device with color LCD review screen would be very helpful.

I plan to take no more than six CF cards, probably all 1GB. The SanDisk Extreme III that came with the camera seems to be fast and reliable so far. If I happen to need more I can buy them almost anywhere I plan to visit.

I'm struggling with the same decision.

My concern with hard drive-based solutions is reliability. Many people don't like putting an entire day's shooting on one 1GB CF just in case something goes wrong. With a hard drive, you are multiplying that by 20 or 40 times, and storing all your eggs in a basket which can fail much easier than a CF card. Drop your CF card a few dozen times and it's fine. Drop a hard drive once and you risk having the head bounce off the disk and destroying everything in seconds. As a computer tech for 15 years, I can attest to the old adage that goes "It's not a question of IF your hard drive will fail, but WHEN"

I really like the idea of the image tank, but I think it's good as a backup platform rather than your primary solution.

I just bought a bunch of fast Kingston 1GB CF cards for $50 each. If you need 20 of them, then you have to spend $1000. Compare that to the cost of the once-in-a-lifetime trip you are about to take and it doesn't seem so bad.

I've used.

Compactdrive. Pros - fast (5MB/s) & uses AA batteries. Cons - build quality sucks HDD not screwed down.

Vosonic X's drive Pro. Ok construction. Cons very slow (0.6-0.8 MB/s) Li battery.

And don't forget:

It's possible to run out of battery before you run out of storage (CF or HD).

Some day (when I get really bored), maybe I'll derive that equation for how many fully-charged batteries to take relative to total session anticipated CF/HD storage required. (Obviously, for an extended photo trip.)

...not today, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a X's drive Pro after having my laptop go down during a trip to Japan. (I say that

so calmly, NOW!) Fortunately Japan is definitely the country to be in when you need new

hardware fast! The X's drive Pro has been great - easy to use, VERY durable yet

lightweight, takes all cards and I have YET to ever run down the battery (?!) It even holds

its charge well when stored for a long time. So, my current CYA program consists of a

laptop, blank cd's and/or dvd's, and the X's drive Pro.