D70 - NEF Files Not Recognized -Won't Upload to Computer

john_rush2

Recently purchased a D70. I took 26 pictures. Three images are in jpg

format and three images in the NEF/RAW format. When I try to upload

the images to my Windows XP Home machine, the computer/software

recognizes 23 images but does not identify/display the NEF files. I

have Nikon Picture Project, Nikon Capture, and Adobe PS CS on my

computer as well as Picasa2. Picasa2 states that there are 23 images.

Going to File/Import in CS identifies 23 images and displays

thumbnails of only 23 images. Picture Project identifies 26 images,

but I would prefer to use CS or Picasa for uploading the photos. I

have the d70 set for PTP, rather than mass transfer. Why are these

programs not "seeing" the NEF images? Must I use Nikon Picture

Project? Picasa2 supports NEF files and I have the latest RAW plug-in

for CS. Going to File/Import in CS only displays 23 thumbnails. Help.

John asked: ".... Why are these programs not "seeing" the NEF images? Must I use Nikon Picture Project? Picasa2 supports NEF files and I have the latest RAW plug-in for CS. Going to File/Import in CS only displays 23 thumbnails".

John, the first thing to understand is that RAW is not an image format (its the data file from your camera's sensor) and therefore most imaging programs will not be able to "see" the image. All the programs that list "files" on your hard disk should be able to detect the presence of the NEF file, however.

If you want to "see" the image that results from a RAW data file, then you must convert the RAW data into a bitmap that drives your graphics card or printer. Nikon Capture will certainly do that, and you have the option of sending the converted data to Photoshop CS for further post processing. Depending on whether you have the correct plug-in installed, Photoshop CS is capable of reading and converting the RAW/NEF file directly into a bitmap.

Picasa2 sounds like an image storage and retrieval system and RAW/NEF is not an image format so Picasa2 seems to be working in a logical fashion. Don't know exactly what Nikon Picture Project does, but if it is similar to Picasa then it won't be converting RAW/NEF, either.

Mike Spencer

How about chnage to mass storage, then copying the cards contents to a folder? Then you can look at them and edit them using PS CS and not have to bother with any of the other programs. Picture project sucks, IMO. With capture installed, it may not allow PS to open raw files. This problem, and it's easy fix (renaming a file) are described at the adobe support site.