OT Nikon S3 Rangefinder + 50mm f/1.4 (replica)

brandt_fan

Here is a bunch of typical english used leica prices in pounds....

M6 0.85x Black Body E++ 999

M6 Black body E+ 849

M6 Black Body E++ 850

M6TTL 0.58x Chrome Body Ex Demo 1,199

M6TTL 0.85x Black Body Mint- 929

M6TTL 0.85x Black Body E++ 999

Brandt,

I actually have a Black Nikon S3-2000 with the Olympic 50 lens. It's really beautifully made

and the Nikon rangefinders are quite good for actual usage. In reality, however, the

ergonomics of the camera are not up to a M7, which I also own, and a modern M series

would be my choice for actual usage on a daily basis.

That said, the S3 is built at least as well as any of my Ms and feels like a tank. It feels very

much like an early Nikon F, if you've handled one, being as they were designed

simultaneously and share parts. It's a great camera, which takes great pictures, but I think

the M is probably the more reasonable solution.

Kent

ps- One area Leica has an advantage is service if you have a problem. When I called Nikon

for a new manual for the S3-2000 they told me they never even heard of the camera!

Better yet, when they asked around the department, nobody had heard of it! Sooooo... if it

was your only camera you might be waiting a looooooong time for Nikon support on that

baby :)

When it was first announced I thought this was a camera that will end up in the collector's closet but it appears that people will buy it and actually use it. I think it's great we now have two new rangefinder film cameras on the market.

Chances are Leica will be making lenses for a few more years. All the used Nikkors on the market are over 40 years old and nowhere as common as Leica glass. As good as the camera might be, and even if service weren't a problem, lenses might be. I can't envision Leica making S mount lenses...LOL

Brand new S3 replica is listed with its own 50mm f1.4 Nikkor lens so I would not need a Leica lens or a 40 year old Nikkor. Thanks for the advice though.

The S3 is just an idea. It looks great. more attractive than the leica which is dowdy. common sense will probably steer me towards leica or voigtlander or zeiss ikon in the end.

Eliot,

You are correct, Nikon has announced a new SP. It comes with a 35mm lens and cloth

curtains (many SPs had titanium curtains way back when). It is absurdly nice looking but it

also is $7000.

Here's a link to a picture if interested (run through Google Translator):

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nikon-

image.com%2Fjpn%2Fproducts%2Fcamera%2Ffilm%2Frange%2Fsp%2Findex.htm&langpair=j

a%7Cen&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

One of these days if I hit the lotto:))

Kent