mark_grow1

After a long stint with digital cameras my wife (second shooter) has

expressed an interest in looking at a Nikon F6/F100 combination for

shooting at weddings. This is simply a workflow issues as we have two

young kids and she would like to cut down on some post=production

time.

We looked at both models at WPPI but have not had a chance to really

look them over. Just would like some thoughts from photographers

using these models for wedding photography..

Thanks

Mark

I use an F100 for weddings, and I absolutely love it. My take on the F100 vs F6 issue is that if you need to squeeze out every last ounce of metering accuracey (The F6 uses the 1005-element color sensor for matrix metering) and you are interested in using Nikon's new iTTL lighting system (which doesn't look half bad) then the F6 is going to be your only choice.

<br><br>

<b>ByThom.com reviews</b><br>

<a target="self" href="http://www.bythom.com/F6.htm">http://www.bythom.com/F6.htm</a><br>

<a target="self" href="http://www.bythom.com/F100.htm">http://www.bythom.com/F100.htm</a>

<br><br>

Consider the 80/20 principle.... If the F100 can do 80% of the things that the F6 can do, for 1/5th of the cost, shooting an F100 may make more sense financially speaking. But if the 20% additional features on the F6 are useful to you (as opposed to about $600 for a used F100) and you can afford it, then nobody will be able to convince you otherwise.<br><br>

The F6 may help you get more consistent flash and ambient exposures with its advanced technology, but you can achieve the same perfect exposure if you are thoughtful in your approach to using the F100.

For my own work I still shoot film and have a pair of F100s. Very reliable. The ambient and flash metering is almost dummy proof. The viewfinder is good enough so you can manually focus if you want. The AF is very good most of the time. Here's the thing: the three AF sensor across the middle are cross pattern ones and if there is any sort of pattern, or edge, to the subject, it will focus quickly. For shots like the bride coming down the aisle with her father, this often puts the sensor right on her dress where there is no detail. AF can get confused. Do a verticle shot and one of the single axis sensors is on the bride's dress and it really has a hard time. The F6 has more cross pattern sensors and they're in better places (you can put one right on the bride's face).

So, I suspect that the F6 will work a bit better. It is also bigger heavier and more expensive. With so many people switching to digital there are loads of mint F100's out there selling for $500. I would suggest getting a used F100 and see how it works out. If it's ok, then stick with it. If not quite good enough, add a F6 and use the F100 as a backup.

Thank's for the reply gentlemen. I always hate talking about film as I get this feeling I'm going to regret it, but heck, I'm still shooting a Bronica SQAi (and loving every minute)...

I guess the plan will be get the F100 (or F6) and have the film long roll scanned during proofing. For the larger scans I'm thinking a Nikon 9000 ED.....anything to keep the wife happy ;)

Mark

I have shot hundreds of rolls around the world on my F100 which has never let me down. I dont think you can really go wrong with it. I have no experience with the F6 but would assume it is a great camera.

Going from digital to film would probably increase the quality of your images but Im not sure how it would decrease your workflow.