Nikon AF ED 300mm 2.8 Lens need 1.4 Teleconverter

paul_keith_dickinson

Dear All This is my first posting with the group.I need some advice!!

I have A Nikon AF 300mm 2.8 ED which I use with my Nikon

D70.I would like to purchase a 1.4 Teleconverter but I am completely

baffled by all the information on the Web.Could somebody give me

some good advice.At the moment I have got it down to the TC-14B ,but

they say the AF will not work with this teleconverter.The TC-14E11

is not compatible with the AF 300mm(older type)I only want this

converter to work with my 300mm lens....Many Thank Keith Liverpool

UK

Apparently your 300mm/f2.8 AF is a pre-1992/AF-I version. In other words, there is no internal AF motor inside. In that case the TC-14E or TC-14E2 versions are not going to work. In fact, you won't be able to mount either one of them on your lens unless you file off that extra tab on the TC. If do you file the tab off, you will be able to mount and maintain electronic connectivity from lens to body, but there is still no AF.

If you have a pre-AF-I/AF-S 300mm/f2.8 AF and want to maintain AF, those 3rd-party TCs are the only way to go.

If your 300mm/f2.8 AF is either AF-I, AF-S, AF-S2 or AF-S VR G, it would be a totally different story.

Thank you all so much for the information that you have supplied to me.My I add somethink that my help you more.I will give you what is exactly on the brass name plate on the lens .,as follows

Nikon ED AF Nikkor 300mm 1:2.8 .If somebody could tell me if this lens is an AF or an AF-1 I would be most greatful

Once again many thanks Paul Kieth Dickinson

• 10 years later...
<p>Just to bring a 10 year old thread to life. I also have the same ED AF Nikkor 300 F2.8 and would like a teleconverter ideally a 2X but 1.X would also be OK. My new camera body is a D610 and think the old glass of the 300mm ED is still as good as it gets. Has anything changed in the last decade, would I still need to get a used/ebay tamron or kenko TC? It would appear the new AF-S teleconverters such as the TC-17EII are not compatible at all. <br /><br />Naturally I could just sell the beautiful beast and trade down to a lighter consumer grade Tamron plastic fantastic VR 150-600mm zoom, but this is a waste IMHO, just for the infrequent desire to get a bit longer shots.</p>

<p>Teleconverter compatibility for that lens hasn't changed after a decade. There is a new TC-14E III now, but that is mainly compatible with G lenses. Since that 300mm/f2.8 is an AF lens with screwdriver AF, you cannot mount any Nikon TC-nnE teleconverter onto it, unless you file off the tab on the TC, and even so, there will be no AF.</p>

<p>What has changed is that there is now a 300mm/f2.8 AF-S VR II, and all the old models without VR are getting fairly cheap on the used market. If you use the 300mm/f2.8 more often, maybe you can justify an upgrade to an earlier AF-S, but don't expect to get much from selling an old screwdriver AF 300mm/f2.8.</p>

<p>Those Tamron 150-600mm zooms may have a lot of plastic in them, and they are slow @ f6.3 on the 600mm end, but today, they are probably far more useful and versatile than some old 300mm/f2.8 with "stone age" AF from last century, especially outdoors.</p>

<p>Whilst being as far from as a working professional sports photographer as you can get, the 300mm really doesn't cut it as far as moving subjects AF with the D610. My old F5 could drive a screwdriver AF to very well particularly focus subject tracking. But the ameteur D610 does it . s . l . o . w . and couldn't even track a car coming down my street, maybe I haven't yet understood the new cameras "newfangled" expeed 3 auto focus tracking options correct, so I will give it another go.<br>

Anyway for static shots, focus and recompose on a tripod, optically however the 300mm is still as good at it gets particularly nice bokeh (at least on in my budget anyway). Practical considerations however are another matter, the 300mm stays at home because it is simply too big and heavy unless I was going somewhere local where I would specifically planning just to use it. It certainly wouldn't be coming with me with on an OS trip as carry-on. So from that point of view the 150-600 would get more regular and practical use.<br /><br />That being said for AUD$100 a used 3rd party teleconverter will not be a huge burden and about right for the probable frequency of use.</p>