Nikon 28-70 3.5-4.5 D

zack_musarsa

Hi,

I currently just have a 50mm but i wanted to get a cheap zoom because

i'll be travelling soon and it would be alot more useful. I just

wanted to know if this lens would be a good choice. Apparently it has

macro from 28mm through to 70mm. Also are these lenses all made in

Japan or only some?

Does anyone use one of these? How is the quality?

Thanks for the help,

Zack.

I used to own one of these lenses. They are a pretty decent travel lens, nice and compact with decent manual focus feel, and take 52mm filters. I eventually sold it as I wanted something with a bit more range on the long end.<p>

AFAIK all of these were made in Japan.<p>

$160 is HIGH. KEH has one in "EX" grade (what most people would call mint) with hood and caps listed for only $99.00<br>

<a href="http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT.CFM?CRID=10250176&SKID=NA07009035908J5&SID=newused&BID=NA&CID=07&SOID=N&curpic=0&dpsp=0">28-70 F3.5-4.5 D MACRO (52) WITH HOOD, CAPS</a><P>Mike

I have one and like it for quick shots when switching primes is too much trouble. Most of the time there is nothing wrong with the sharpness - the only time I have found it a little soft is at the long end stopped down to f22, or of course at any focal length wide open. Stop down to f8 and you'll be fine.

It does have barrel distortion at 28mm, which I've only noticed shooting architecture or the ocean horizon. My sample handles flare very well, producing gorgeous sunstars if the sun is just peeking out from behind an object.

I think this lens is underrated, but agree that the 28-105 might be more useful.

I have this lens, and find it to be pretty good. The sharpness is not a problem from my experience, and that same result was born out in Popular Photography's review of this lens where it got plenty of red marks in the color coded charts at all focal lengths (Pop Photo's motto is "the redder the better" in their reviews). Additionally, that same magazine had an article many years ago on whether zooms could match (or beat) primes, and the 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 Nikkor was the lens used against a Contax 50mm f/1.7. The zoom at 50mm was very close to the prime 50mm, and the zoom was at f/4.2 wide-open, while the prime was closed down to f/4.2.

With all of that said, I don't use the lens much for the reason that I like to use zone and hyper-focus settings with my wide-angle lenses, and the zoom does not have these marks on the barrel. I tend to use this zoom as a "party lens", for quick framing of people in social situations.

If you are a zoom-person, this is a fine lens for general use.<div>00BRfk-22275584.jpg.b1fbf44340b6c1089b6f3396ce540a92.jpg</div>

This is a very sharp, compact, light and underrated lens. It has an aspherical element in its construction and wasn't a cheap lens in its day. Very sharp in the center and good in corners. I see no difference with it and Nikon AF 24mm/2.8 in the center. Very resistant to flare, even aforementioned 24 flares more. Though it is not perfect, build quality isn't as good as expensive zooms, has plenty of barrel distortion in the wide end and some corner light falloff wide open in the long end (yeah, strange) so be careful if you use a filter and shoot around 70mm.

Before I got going in photographyin a big way, this was my favorite and by far, most used lens. My experience mirrors Al's. It is surprisingly sharp and depending on what you are shotting, the slight distortion at 28 won't matter.

I miss its light weight and small size. I still have it but am addicted to other lenses now.

Conni

This is the lens I use about 60-70% if the time. Coupled to an N80, makes a nice lightweight and compact outfit for hiking. IMO the quality has been very good. I've used this lens with an F5, N80, and D70 with the same results. It was repaired once when parts needed to be replaced in the zooming mechanism. It has been a good workhorse.