Lower Antelope Canyon

gerry297

I plan on spending a few days in Page at the end of the month. I've

already visited the upper Canyon, but not the lower one. Can anyone

give me some insight? I know that it will require some climbing and

the weather can be critical. How long is the lower canyon? Any other

help would be apprecitated, Thanks.

Hi Gerry,

Its about 300 feet in length. there are ladders and it is tight in a couple of spots. I like the first half of the day for light. Start at about 8:30 am and go up and down getting the feel for choices at about ten until noon its very nice. If it has rained within a couple of days it can be muddy. I have a class there in April. Have Fun..Ian

www.ian-whitehead.com

I prefer the 10AM to 2PM. This gives the opportunity of the direct light over head to bounce off the walls inside the canyon. The canyon is not that long 200 to 300 feet. If you are closterphobic be prepared. It can be a tight fit. It takes about 10 minutes to get to lower antelope from page. Upper Antelope is across the street from Lower Antelope. If there is a HINT of rain DO NOT GO. KEn YOung the owner will not allow you to enter the CAnyon. KEn KNOWS Lower Antelope. Great guy to have a conversation with he may give you some pointers inside the canyon. Take a tripod. Also metering can be tricky. You could easily have 5 or 6 stops different in the image the the difference could fool your meter.

I visited Lower Antelope last year & remember it being many hundreds of yards - not just 200 or 300 feet. But perhaps I was taking so many pictures it seemed longer.

Anyway if you'd like some sample apertures and shutter speeds, all of my Lower Antelope image on pBase are tagged with EXIF data. One example:

http://www.pbase.com/pricklypear/image/28242394&exif=y

The entire gallery is here: http://www.pbase.com/pricklypear/utaznv2004_antelope

My images are also tagged with the exact date & time I was there, and you can see from the small subset of images in my gallery it took from about 11am until 12:30pm to get through the slot canyon, not including initial setup, or the final climb-out & hike back to the parking lot.

It's a great place & well worth the trip. BTW the folks at the Best Western Lake Powell are very friendly, rooms were clean, and the modest (free) breakfast was fresh & pleasant.