any third party flashes I should be looking at. Or am I missing some

thing by looking at flashes only.

Let me rephrase the question, what would be the best option for

indoor lighting with aprox $200. I could save for some thing like

the Alien Bees and get one in a few months, but my aim right now is

to go digital when I can, so that's where the alleged saving are

going.

Just my opinion, but here goes...

If you are really going to switch to or add a digital camera, and the money will help that I suggest doing that before you try to master flash. You can learn flash well on film, but it will cost more. You will get so much feedback from a digital system you can learn flash work in much less time. The cost of processing alone can be a real issue in getting very good with a flash, and even pro's used polaroids all the time in the days of film to see if the final result was right. By all means get yourself a flash if you need it now, but if you plan on doing complex or creative flash work I think it will be well worth your while to learn this with a DSLR (even a very modest one that uses flash). The older Canon DSLR's were and are great tools and used (when you find them) are now not so expensive...Not a lot more than the processing on the film you might use to learn with a flash.

Just my opinion, others will feel differnt about it.

Good Luck,

Cecil Thornhill

RidgeLight Studio Inc.

Cecil, that is the primary reason I want to switch to digital, the instant feedback. My photgraphy indulgences come in spurts when I go camping or vacationing with the family. The results are usually not available until I get home, which is usally a combination of surprises and disappointments.

Since I already have the 28-105 USM-II I will probably stay within the Canon DSLR system. That is why I was thinkging of buying a flash with the expectation that I can take it with me when I go digital (which I don't see happening for atleast another year).

I've heard good things about the Sigma EF 500 DG Super (what a mouthful). It's fully compatible with Canon's flash system and I think it works with their ST-E2 Transmitter. I've heard that it's basically a Canon 550EX except for a lot cheaper. It's even got more power and recycles faster--check it out!

It sells for exactly $200:

http://www.adorama.com/SG500EOSDG.html

Zahid,

I understand. Getting a flash is not a bad thing at all! Far from it - I and most people had a flash before we went digital. I understand the 'surprise factor' that can come with getting your film back. Learning with flash can be lots more of that. Like I said, by all means get one if you need one. Most people I know whith the excellent Canon system stick to the Canon flash. I am sure many people here on photo.net will have expericance to share about that, and third party options. All I wanted to point out is that your success rate and speed of learning to get better shots is going to go way up with a DSLR because you can see what you get as you get it. This makes it a lot easier to see what not to do. I would not recomend someone get studio lights (like and AB) before they have gotten used to flash with a speedlight type unit on and off camera. That is just me - everyone has to go the way they see fit. I just think that with a good DSLR and a speedlight and a few modifiers you can do and learn a lot fast, then you will be ready for more complex lighting when you get it.

Good Luck,

Cecil Thornhill