V96C for the Hasselblad

patrick_davis

I am not sure that this is the correct forum for this question but

here it goes. I have quite a bit of Hasselblad equipment and

recently saw the new Imacon V96C digital back for the V series

cameras. Has anyone played with this yet? The folks at the camera

store say it is awesome.

Thanks

I have this back and use it with 903 and 501. It makes excellent pictures with OK dynamic range, very clean and sharp. The software it comes with is pretty good, though I always ship pictures into photoshop for more tweaking. There is a little moire and chromatic effects in high contrast thin lines like a net or barren tree against the sky, but this is not horrible. I also notice than I sometimes blow out one channel like red more easily than I think, but this is part of digital life. It has a little noise at 100 ASA, but nearly none at 50. I don't really have an issue with the tethered hard disk/battery, but some might. I have printed 12x12 on a lightjet and they looked really nice.

I posted a couple of sample images here:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation.tcl?presentation_id=267637

It shows full frame with the 903 (approx 1.5 cropping factor) and full pixel crops.

More pictures here, not that it tells you much:

http://homepage.mac.com/chantalcombes/PhotoAlbum24.html

There is a review of the Imacon Ixpress 96 (essentially the same back and imaging chip without the color screen on www.luminous-landscape.com).

• 3 weeks later...
With regards to it being supplied with a mask....yes it is. I have just purchased the back after being forced to include Digital into my repartee or loose a large section of advertising work. The software appears straightforward. The quality appears to be good. The shoot was for in-store Posters, roughly 3ft X 4ft. It has not gone to print yet....but if anyones interested...I can keep you posted on the quality of the end result.

Oh dear ! Major problems with some of the files. Noise appearing in the blue channels.However this is not consistant....some are perfectly ok ! Established, respected London lab who were overlooking the processing/download side on the shoot are baffled as are Hasselblad who have taken files to Imacon in Denmark. Meeting with all involved next week. This is not a re-shoot but obviously is causing concern/stress and embarrassment with client. Maybe faulty back poss software or indeed processed in the wrong way. Will keep you posted !!!!! Character building stuff !!!!!

Still awaiting word from Denmark who intially said there was no problem with the files. However on closer inspection the Hasselblad rep has acknowledged their would appear to be a possible issue with the colour correction (greyscale) within Flexcolor affecting the blue channel and creating a neutral grey in their shadows. This problem can be resolved by colour correcting in Photoshop....However isn't really the point .... will keep you posted as events unfold.

Regards

Kevin, Kieth, Karen or even Ken :0)

• 1 month later...

Finally got an answer regarding the problem......and that was that Hasselblad & Imacon acknowledged that there was a problem with some part of their system that resulted in the corrupt files......"but didn't know what it was"....!!!!

With no confidence therefore in the product....I have since returned it.