Monopod for Canon EOS 20D

frederick_chan

Any monopod will work with any camera, assuming matching screw sizes.

Obviously for that lens you'll want something on the sturdier side.

I'm quite happy with my Bogen 3218. I use it with a 400mm f/4 when a tripod takes up too much space. Gitzo makes some with shoulder rests that will help steady the sway.

If you are going to use 800mm often, I suggest a tripod instead, if possible. I think it will be extremely difficult to frame your subjects accurately. If you don't have to extend it and can sit on the ground, that will help too.

Manfrotto Carbon One is an excellent, very light monopod. I haven't used it much though, because basically monopods suck. I mean they don't really help you hold the camera steady, but just keep the weight off you, like shooting sports, which I don't do. It's such a pain to carry around and always you are too high, too low, want to shoot straight up etc. I will keep my monopod in case one day it comes in handy but meanwhile I suggest a Canon IS lens.

<p>I have a <a href="http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=14&itemid=298">Manfrotto 276 junior monopod</a> with <a href="http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=15&itemid=631">235C flex head</a>. It's the only monopod I've ever had so I can't compare it to anything else. I primarily use it with my 300mm f/4L IS USM and Elan 7E, and it's perfectly capable of handling that much weight. The flex head is a bit of an odd device but it works well for me.</p>

YES Jean, it is cheap. If I recall I only paid 29.99 for it. no bubbles to burst as the price said it all, i did say it was inexpensive right ? But for it's price, it is still pretty good. it weighs only 15.4 oz, and can hold 10 pounds easy. It is stiff and solid even when fully extended. it may not be the best that there is, but I think it works pretty good. I just leaned a quarter of my bodyweight on it. it's all right by my books and it's cheap.

I have the Adorama monopod mentioned above. I find it is stellar with my S45 (a small point and shoot), and very useful with my T90 and 85-300 zoom, probably a 5+ pound combo. The case is a bit longer than the monopod to allow for a ball head.

The only thing I have against it is that to reduce the monopod in height, you have to release the bottom two 'buttons' (for lack of a better word), which isn't always convenient. Otherwise, it's a fine product.

I have the Manfrotto 682 monopod. I like it's ability to stand without me touching it (though it's naturally much less stable than any tripod). Two things. First, it does not go lower than your knee. This may be a problem in macro shooting. Another thing, it is uncomfortable to carry it with the legs open. Both are minor issues IMHO.

I also bought 3437 3-way head with it and found the combo very useful, especially for tilting. It easily holds Elan 7e + BP300 + 300/4 IS + 1.4X TC + 420EX (my heaviest setup) at absurd positions. However, I recently sold the 3437 in favor of the 322RC2 ball-head. I like the handle control much better and also like the idea that the center of gravity of the whole complex stays close to the monopod itself, thereby adding to stability.

Shortly after buying it I went to a arm's shop and bought a 7$ strap which is attached via nylon cords (extremely strong, extremely cheap, about 10 minutes work). I carry it over my shoulder like a rifle and it's very convenient.

Summary: I recommend all wholeheartedly. HTH.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.