sheet film inserts for glass holders 13x18 and 18x24

michael_herzogg

Worst case, you can fabricate some, or have them made for you. They'll be sheet metal about 0.75 mm to 1.0 mm thick, folded 180 degrees on three edges to provide a slot to hold the film and the fourth edge folded upward 90 degrees to provide a sort of latching action and help keep the film in. A finger notch in the 90 degree edge can be helpful for getting the film out of the sheath, and most original sheaths had ridges (2-3 mm deep, convex toward the back of the sheath, often in the form of an X or # when viewed flat on) on the flat surface to add stiffness. Outside dimension should be a close fit in the plate holder, the exact format size (that is, a couple mm larger than the sheet film in that nominal size) -- 130 x 180 mm, or 180 x 240 mm; inside dimension will automatically be correct due to the thickness of the metal.

A simpler method useful for testing a camera prior to committing resources to make or buy sheaths is to get a piece of 1.5 mm thick glass, aluminum, or brass (blackened, if metal) cut to exact format dimension, and simply tape the film to the front of the plate.

I think 0.75 to 1.omm might be a little thick - I measured my 9x12cm and 10x15cm inserts, and they're 0.3mm thick. Makes it easier to carry a few of them!

I use glass sheets to hold the film in place in my 18x24cm plate camera, there is no need to fix the film to the glass. Haven't had an accident with it (yet), either.

Right now there are some 13x18cm inserts on ebay.de - if you hurry.

Try someone like Equinox Photographic in Oregon-I've bought ones in the past for my 5x7 tailboard camera "bookcase" type holders. They often pop up when you buy old wooden holders (5x7, 8x10) and see that was just what was done in the past in the transition from glass plate to film. I've seen all kinds of things, like a 5x7 "insert" placed within an 8x10 holder.