Olympus E-2?

Hi all

I `ve read great things about the picture quality and handling of the Olympus E-1. But it`s

now two years ago since this model was announced and I think a new model must follow

in the next months... Don`t you think so? Has anyone knowledge of a new E-2?

I guess it would be a bad buy if I would buy it now (with a 8 pixel follower in the near

future).

Thanks.

Nat

Sales volume also probably plays a factor in how quickly a company can replace a product. After all, companies want to recoup their costs and see a sufficient return on their investment before pouring more money into a new product. For the E-1, being a much lower volume seller than many other DSLR models, I think it's still a bit early for it to be replaced. Remember, even Nikon doesn't replace their models after only two years. Nikon typically keep their DSLR models around for three to four years. Only Canon works on a two-year (or less) update cycle.

If you want absolute picture quality, probably a 20D.

What drew me to the E-1 was that the 14-54/2.8-3.5 is second to very few and makes for a light system perfect for travel and for a very good price. Something Canon nor Nikon offers.

If you are going to use yours mainly in the studio, which it sounds like, the 20D with a few fast primes is probably the better choice. But it will cost you significantly more; the 20D body only is more expensive than the E-1 "kit"...

No, not in the studio - more outside and snapshot style (even if it is fashion). But colour

and atmosphere is more important than noise (or absence of noise)...

I liked the photographs of E-1 and Digilux 2 that I saw more; they had something special -

can it be that they have a better algorithm?

I need definitely something high level and professional - although my budget is limitated

;-)

I am in a similar position, on the fence just before purchase. All the E-1 files I

managed to download (and of course those of competing models), opened and

examined in PS convinced me that the camera not only has exceptional colour

rendition but is also superior in capturing dynamic contrast / tonal gradations. Subtly

but to my eyes definitely, Yes. Of course, these are qualities closely linked to the

performance of the lenses attached. The Olympus line of dedicated lenses are hardly

the cheapest but apparently very well thought and flawlessly executed. As the camera

itself. The no nonsense holistic approach of Olympus and the profound quality of the

product won me.

To quote loosely a famous reviewer observation, Olympus always danced to a

different drummer.

Regards,

Ivo

Well, due to a budget to balance I am planing to get E-1, now offered at a lowered

price. Sure, the replacement would be a tour de force (if the level of the recently

announced lenses is anything to go by) but I expect it to be with about $2K tag at

least at the introduction.

Oh, the only thing I am mourning is the lack of purely silent operation a la digicam (I

am enamoured in street photography).

Ever considered for snapshots the now discontinued KM A2? It was touted as one of

the most competent and probably the least compromised of the top league digicams.

Seems to me that this segment (the 2/3 sensor) would either disappear due to the

price aggression from the lower eshelon DSLR or they are recomposing and would

fight back later in the year. Things are getting pretty tough for the $700 - $1000

range.

Well, I need the flexibity of low light operation with acceptable noise and a

relatively quick and assured focus. There is yet a digicam to appear with these

qualities.

The sensor of the E-1 (and the new E-300) is a bit of a different beast made by

Kodak, not the mass produced thing Sony that fits in almost every camera on the

market. It's get hilarious at times - Sony release a new one and pop, a month later

almost every brand has a new model. The current 6mp sensor for instance, with slight

variations fits D100, D70, *ist D, *ist DS, KM 7D, Epson R-1D.

I like the E-1, but I think a lot of that has to do with lenses too. Zuiko lenses have a certain look, always had in the OM days too.

If you want a profesional beast for your type of shooting, go for it. Get the 14-54/2.8-3.5 kit and possibly the 50/2, which makes for an excelent dedicated portrait lens. It will save you a lot of dough compared to a 20D with similar quality lenses and when you are on a budget, no amount of extra pixels, IS, or low high-ISO noise can make up for slow, unsharp consumer lenses. Which is just one of the reason I sold my canon gear and got an E-1.

I would advise to shoot raw, and there probably is no better quality to be had out of an E-1 than with Capture One. The $99 LE version is good enough for most requirements.

If a person is a somewhat successful professional he doesn't burden himself with anything short of the top Nikon or Canon...they cost about as much as a good set of wrenches and far less than the smog computer in your local gas station.

...none of these prosumer DSLRs are sensible for a person making a serious living in photography because tax deductions make the better cameras effectively much cheaper than their sales price. That gets forgotten. Thirty years ago photographers thought nothing of buying $5K Hassleblad kits or view camera outfits or fully equipped 35mm...and prices have lagged inflation on real pro equipment since then.

Olympus will vault up to 22 MP, like Mamiya and presumably everybody else, within several years if it wants to rise above prosumer. Presumably they'll abandon 4/3 at the top end, perhaps going to 6/4 or 8/6 by piggybacking multiple 4/3. These are digital devices after all, not simply optical.

Olympus's lens announcements persuade me that it will stick with the 4/3 system, so doubts that the company is committed to its current design is kind or stuck with the absolute conviction that only larger sensors (and not even APS which is a smidge larger than the OLy one) can deliver the goods. The only way to test this not uncommon theory is for us all to meet at Dinty Moore's Tavern in downtown Manhattan in three years, talk cameras,hoist a few, and decide who is up for the next presidential nominations...Bas and I have put money on this E series "dark horsies",and are betting some bucks on it. I rather like the durn thing and its images. Have used some of Zenzanon Bronica's finest and know from good gear. More is just words. Moot. Nathanael, the price of the E-1 is mighty durn good. Life being short,and all. Digilux is another species entirely so tick that one off. Try an E-1 one for a week if you can. Best way. Get the handling down. And the startup time, and all that stuff. Good tidings.GS

This month's Practical Photography (UK magazine) had write up of mid-range DSLRs; E-1, D100, *ist D, 7D, 20D and S3. The 20D got 5 out of 5 but the E-1 was the only with 4 stars, the rest just 3. And the E-1 was the cheapest of the lot!

Even though looking at specs, all the other ones should be better. But it was praised for looking much better than 5MP would sugest and "well defined, punchy colours".

But then again, they did print at both A3 and A4 for comparision between cameras, not 100% on screen like measurebators do!