1.4x II teleconverter

robert_rietz

I have a 70-200/4L and want to buy a teleconverter. I'm looking at

the 1.4x II, but am wondering if I should get the 1.4x II L. While

the L won't work w/ non-L lenses, it seems that there are very few

non-L lenses above 200mm, so that doesn't seem to be a significant

disadvantage. What's the pros and cons of getting the L version of

the 1.4x II, other than price?

Robert, there is no L or Non-L version of Canon 1.4x TC. There was the original EF Extender 1.4x and now it is EF Extender 1.4x II with the same optic (I read it on Canon brochure somewhere) but with weather seals.

<p>

I have no idea at all what kind of 1.4x extender available from third party manufacturer.

<p>

Kris

I just ordered the 1.4 II teleconverter for my Canon 100-400 F/4 L lens. Scheduled to arrive Thursday. Obviously have not used it since I do not have yet, but certainly a nice item to have based on what I have read. I am looking forward to using it. Just have to make sure it will be compatable for your lens, and in your case it is compatable with the 70-200 also. One thing I had forgotten about, depending on your cameras sensor of course, is the crop factor, which will bring subject in closer from the start with any lens. And keep in mind that you loose one step using the 1.4, so your lens will be a F/5.6 instead of the F/4, but not a big deal. Have fun.

Paul, it's 'smaller than f/5.6' not 'f/5.6 or smaller', except at the centre point on the -3, -1v, -1Dxx, where it is 'smaller than f/8'. The 70~200/4 with the Extender 1.4x will AF on all EOS cameras and is a good combination optically. I have used the Extender 1.4x on my 100~400 for years with my -1v. AF can be a bit hesitant, but it does work. Optical quality is not too bad, but don't expect miracles.

I also thought that Canon did not make an L series TC. However, the Wolf Camera website currently (I just checked) shows a Canon 1.4x(L) for $429.55, while the "regular" 1.4 TC is usually around $270. Wolf Camera provides a catalog number (541163036) and provides the following Product Description:

"The Canon 1.4x(L) Teleconverter EF is for use on Canon EF 'L' series lenses only. It will NOT work with standard Canon non-L lenses."

Can someone explain what Wolf Camera is selling, and why it carries about $150 premium?

As aother have said, all Canon TC's are L-series.

Wolf's pricing is variable. On some more consumer items they are competitive with

B&H and Adorama. On others, they price more like your local camera shop. High-

end glass is priced more like the local shops.

I just checked <a href="http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10001&langId=-1">Wolf Camera's website</a>, and only found a single <a href="http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=31571">Canon Tele Extender 1.4x</a> (sinfully overpriced at $429.95 - anyone else sells it for about $280). They list some other teleconverters for P&S digicams, but no other Canons for EOS.<p>Contrary to what Wolf and other sellers claim, the Canon 1.4x and 2x are not "L" (if they were, Canon would certainly label them as such), and do not have Fluorite elements (see how Canon's block diagram <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lenses/ef_14x/ef_14x.html">here</a> shows no highlighted/colored elements, and no key explaining that one highlight color represents Fluorite, and another color represents UD elements, as would be seen in the block diagrams for any "L" lens you can look up <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lineup/index.html ">here</a>). They are simply designed to <i>work with</i> "L" lenses.

Of course, the "L" issue may be confused by the fact that the Canon TC's are colored the same "Scary lens white" as the huge monster L series telephotos. It looks like part of the 70-200 when you attach it.

It is odd that Canon makes only "L" telephotos a signature white, except this one odd thing which is not technically an "L" piece of optics, but works pretty much with "L" lenses and looks like part of one.

Just to comment about little difference between the Tamron 1.4x and the Canon 1.4 Extender. There's suppose to be some softness in the corners on the Tamron, compared to the Canon. BUT, if you have a dSLR with a 1.6x crop (300D or 20D), then there isn't much difference, as the corners are cropped out.

I shoot with an Kenko 300 teleplus pro 1.4 and cant tell the difference between it and the Canon one on my 10D. I believe Bob has reviewed them on Photo.net and found no difference also - other then two little things - cheaper then teh canon ones, and will not change what the camera sees in terms of lens aperture - read that you can still use autofocus on slower lenses - assuming you have a high enough contrast to lock on.

I have friends with the canon extender, they cant tell a difference either. Make sure you get the "300 pro series" Kenko makes a really cheap one and you can tell the difference with this one.

d