DC to AC Inverter

nader_sherif

you shouldn't need a very big one to charge those little batteries but check the required

amperage on the charger or contact canon. I would imagine since a 300 watt inverter will

charge large 24volt panaivsion batteries that you won't have problems with one of that

size. It's too bad all cameras don't accept AA's, but they have to make money somehow.

Hi Nader, I`ve been using a 400watt inv for a while with no problems.

Its about 6 x 6 x 2.5ins.with 1 outlet.

I charge my 511`s in a dual charger came with the D30.So do both for 20D as well. I got a 400watt cause I run flouro lights at night, Also I`m on 240v so there may be a difference with another voltage.

good luck

I use a 400Watt inverter and it works fine. You don't need anywhere near 400Watts for just the battery charger but it is nice to have the extra power when you want it. Mine has two plugs which is nice. I run the laptop from one and either a BP-511 charger or a 30min NiMH charger on the other.

There are two different chargers for BP-511 batteries that came with my cameras. The one that came with my DRebel has a chord and works nicely with the inverter so i keep that one in the car. The one that came with my 20D has a little flip out plug. It's nice and compact so i keep it in my camera bag. I can't use it on my inverter though because it blocks both plugs.

I don't know exactly how many Watts you will need for the charger but it shouldn't be hard to find out. It is either written on the charger where it lists its input or you have to calculate it from the Power = Potential Difference*Current (Watts=volts*amps). I'd do it for you but my wife is out of town with the camera today. Be aware that inverter manufactures often inflate their claims using peak output not sustained output. Read the small print on the back to know exactly what the unit can deliver.

At your local BestBuy or Fry's you should be able to find the "cigarette lighter" connection power inverters that plug straight into the 12V outlet in your car without cables. These little device typically supply 75W and are quite inexpensive. Check your charger, at 120V, 75W is about 0.625A or 5/8A. If your charger is spec'd for less current, you should be fine.

For comparrison, I have a 300W inverter on my boat and can run 300W worth of X-mas lights for several hours without issues (such as blowing fuses).

Unless you need the inverter for other items as well, I second Phil's suggestion. Just go to Best Buy or another electronics store and buy a charger kit that comes with its own car cigarette-lighter/accessory-power-outlet adapter. Why convert DC to AC, then plug in a charger that converts the AC back into DC?