External DVD Burner Problems

I've read posts from a couple of people who have had external dvd

burner problems when running xp. They say that xp recognized the new

drive and disables the cd burner that came with the computer. That

shouldn't be a problem since the burner can do dvd's and cd's. Just

curious as to other peoples experiences and which brand drives don't

disable the computers drive.

My Plextor 708UF external DVD+-RW drive has been perfectly well behaved. I am using the drive via Firewire interface, it also has a USB2 intfc.

My PC's internal DVD-ROM and CD-RW drives also continue to operate fine.

I am running WinXP-Pro, SP2.

Win2000 will only recognize one burner of a type (or possibly manufacturer). I have a Plextor CD burner and an external Plextor CD/DVD burner, and W2K will only recognize one at a time.

WinXP, on the other hand, recognizes everything, every time. Besides being more plug-and-play friendly, WinXP assigns LU's based on the serial number of the device. Each time you plug it it, it gets the same ID. If that ID is not available, XP will assign another.

If XP doesn't recognize a device, try power-down-power-up on that device. If that doesn't work, unplug and replug the firewire or USB connection. If you have several devices, power them on one at a time, and wait until it is completely recognized before proceeding to the next.

My new computer behaves beautifully with 2 internal and 3 external burners (XP2-SP2) but my 2nd computer which was given a clean install and upgraded in memory spits with its external burner. I have to use them in one configuration only to avoid problems. It, too, is running XP2 and SP2. There is some conflict that goes on with external burners and internal new v old (burners).

My former housemate had the same problem with his computer but it went away last month when a new unit replaced the old one.

Conni

I was the person, who posted here with the same problem. I have XP and SP2. the problem hasn't resolved, but i have found out how to work around it, shutting on/off helps.

Other theory is, XP can't handle two cd/dvd burning software, so may be you have to get rid of one completely. I haven't tried doing that as of now.

I run a Freecome Classic DVD writer via USB. On W2k, installing the software lead to problems, but 5 minutes on the PCs helpline had it up and running. I then installed the writer on my WXP SP3 machine and everything works a treat with the Roxio software that came packaged with it. If you look at the botton right (of the Roxio) window you should see the name of the disc drive. If you click on it, in my case, there is your second drive. I hope this helps.<div>00BSip-22294184.JPG.1257b9b2eaac491cf3b2020a32277bf5.JPG</div>