client's budget

ksimephoto

If you're contacted by a client and they tell you they can't afford

you, but would still like you to photograph their wedding, do you try

to accomodate them? In what ways? I'm thinking about going this

route since I'm just starting out. Is it worth undercutting your

prices to get your name out there?

You better be careful. I had a friend who did one of her good friends wedding for cost. (She was just starting). The pictures turned out fantastic and her friend was thrilled! So, what does her friend do... but refer her to another friend, telling them that she did the wedding for $150.00. So, when the second friend came for a consultation, she wanted a "good deal", and did not want to pay full price, knowing what the first friend paid. If you do any favors for people, whether it be for a good friend, to build your portfolio, or to get a few more bookings, make sure you let them know that this is special for them, and if they refer someone else to you that friend will not get the same deal.

I'll do some "deals" for friends, but I always make sure they know how much I'd normally charge if people ask them.

Since you are just starting out, don't you already have lower prices? When someone asks me (I'm just starting out too) for a deal I usually respond that my standard prices are already low compared to many other wedding photogs.

Tell them if they want it "cheap" You will shoot walmart film and process it at Costco. They can buy their own album from K-mart.

No seriously...what I do is ask what their budget is. If they say 1k than I will usually give them a certain amount of hours with 4x6 proofs.

Personally I would rather pay 1k for 1 hour of exceptional photography than 1k for 5 hours of coverage that a 10 year old with a holga could have shot.

Speaking of Holgas...here's a shot of my baby last week.....<div>00BQe4-22253384.jpg.2243ed289f2c52e6e9e427c058e1af65.jpg</div>

Kelly's concern is very real. If I photograph a wedding for a close friend or a family I know at a lower cost, I ask them not to mention what I charged. It's a "confidentiality clause." I give them my brochures with the full prices to pass on to their friends, and ask them to say, "This is what my photographer charges".

Kari's $150 wedding price won't even buy film and processing. Who does that?

I often discount weddings for friends and still make a profit (since photography is not my only source of income), but I have encountered more than a few weddings that I gave a good discount, and they paid three times my price for the videographer or the DJ.

Be careful on this. Go for a big price and then negotiate. Never do any wedding for cost...at the very least, charge your cost plus 2X or 3x minimum.

PS:

1. Sometimes the "at-cost" of a wedding is calculated by beginners as just film plus processing. The real "cost" on a wedding is much more than that. How about your time, travel, batteries, visiting the couple before the wedding, and such?

2. I have also discovered something very interesting in my 15+ years of doing this: I get more grief, more complaints, and more nit-picking, not to mention wanting more "freebees" when I do a low cost wedding than when I charge a big full price. Strange.

Anyone else experience that?

Yes, that matches my experience. My interpretation is that the budget shoppers don't place much value on your time and services, so they don't assign any significant worth to all those extras--it's not a big deal. It's like asking for a free refill of water at a restaurant . . .

"I get more grief, more complaints, and more nit-picking, not to mention wanting more "freebees" when I do a low cost wedding than when I charge a big full price. Anyone else experience that?"

Its common to most personal service businesses. While some may not have much money or simply wish to cut expenses, the nit-pickers tend to be obnoxious in general. Its all about getting the advantage to them. Those who pay full fare, I believe, are those who value quality and wish to avoid those who would try to cut corners in their own effort to gain the advantage. Ideally, it is best to send the nit-pickers away but some people need the business. My question is if it is really worth it, even then.

Not worth it. Be confident in your work. If your "work result" justify your price, even if you are just starting out, there is no reason to lower the price. Don't sell yourself short. Unless, if you just want to do a huge favour for this couple and doing your work at a loss.

If they can 'afford' a wedding, and plan on 'affording' starting a household together after the wedding, the couple should have 'planned' for the cost of a wedding. If you are expected to provide professional looking images of their wedding, they should expect to pay for your services.

Do you think your dentist would offer you a good discount if you showed up with a drill bit in hand and said "please?"

Most likely the plan would be to do a few for your portfolio, yes?

If so and you don't mind the CUT price, you might do a revamped version of one of the packages you want to offer. less hours, etc.

I would explain that this is only because you are not already booked and that would not be the price for any other referrals. OTOH, once you start that path, it gets slippery....

For some reaon photographers are seen as a lot more negotiable then other vendors. I'll bet they don't get to haggle with the caterer or the hall. But the photographer or band will be 'negotiated' with. The way I work it is that if they want cheap then they get a cheaper package, they are paying me the same amount for my time, but the discounts apply to the albums, number of proofs etc. That way you are'nt selling yourself short. I'm sure the caterer would be happy to offer a cheaper price, but the starter will be simpler, the choice of main course will be smaller, etc. You should do the same.

You may get a lot of different responses about this, but ultimately I think that it is up to

you and what you value (experience vs. money). It's definitely important to know how

much you can cut from your price and still make it worth your while. Don't sell yourself

too short, but do let your clients know that you are giving them a very special price for

their circumstance- which will make them feel very special and will let them know how

much you care about their business. I'm still starting out as well, and at this point I feel as

though experience is almost worth more than profit. The more brides I can make happy

now, the more referral business and positive word-of-mouth advertising I'll get, and the

sooner I'll be able to raise my prices because there will be enough demand.

Unfortunately brides don't think the way Edward does- to them it's more important to

capture every moment of the entire day, even if the product isn't the highest quality-

which is why a lot of brides turn to "cheap" photographers.

If you like the couple and you really want to do their wedding, find a price that is fair for

both of you. Good luck Kelly!

<i>"For some reaon photographers are seen as a lot more negotiable then other vendors.

I'll bet they don't get to haggle with the caterer or the hall. But the photographer or band

will be 'negotiated' with."</i><br>

<br>

Oh Ben... if you only knew. If you're getting haggled with, you can rest assured that many

other vendors are getting the same treatment for the same wedding.

Kelly: When I started out, I did the same thing. I was new to weddings and wanted the experience, so I didn't feel charging the same as others was "fair". I shot a wedding for $500 and prints were extra. They made it right for me for what it was by giving me a huge order. Others heard about this and called me. I explained the situation, and booked the weddings, but still not at full price, just more than $500.

I now have three packages to choose from: A full service, semi-full service, and a non-full service. Weddings are alot of hard work to say the least. Way more to it than people think, or as it appears. I didn't want people to come to me because I was "Cheap", I want them coming to be because they like the results, so a reputation is important. Will I still be willing to negotiate price? Absolutely, but within reason. Definately a back and forth situation, but it can be handled to your advantage. Give them packages to choose from and explain each package in detail, in writing, as to what they will be getting so that they can see what they will be missing out on, or so they can see what they want and/or do not want. Just know ahead of time what you are willing to do and what your limits will be if negotiation is a must. Good luck.

Hi Kelly!

When I first started out I discounted my packages with an explanation of why - I was new to wedding photography. I admit I was then booked mainly on the (relative) 'cheapness' of my services. This didn't matter to me so much as I was very keen to build up my portfolio and experience.

Now I am booked because I am good, I am certainly not cheap, people just like my work! Some clients are really nice but try it on a bit with a few extras, I will accomodate if I like the couple and they are booking a top package, or if the wedding is short notice and I haven't already a booking.

I never discount my packages - I will only offer a bit of extra time or a few reprints, or a little off the CDROM.

Here is an illustration-

Couple 1 - REALLY lovely and sweet, came a long way to see me, absolutely loved my photos, but explained they were on a budget and would only be able to afford the cheapest package. I didn't hear from them for a month and then they booked me. They must have found the extra from somewhere, but they really liked me and my work. They didn't ask but I will throw in a few extras FOC for them after their wedding. I knew of their budget diffeculties and if they had asked I would have set up a compromise - adjusted the number of proofs or time etc

Couple 2 - I travelled a long way to visit them, they already had detailed prior knowledge of my prices, and then asked for a ?995 package for only ?650 as they had a lot of relatives flying down from Scotland who they had to accomodate!!!!! What a cheek! I was very annoyed as I had given up a Sunday night with my family to visit them at home as they were on a tight time schedule. I stuck to my guns with cost and they didn't book me, their loss! I have since filled their date with a great couple so no matter.

I suppose my point is that I would feel like I have compromised my skill and worth by aggreeing to drop prices, I am worth more than that and really only want to work for couples who can see what I am worth for themselves.

Good luck Kelly!

First my story, skip to the bottom if you want my answer to your question.

When we started a business last year we first worked out the lowest we could go and still come out ahead. That included a little profit (about minimum wage for me and my wife) and covered all materials and some of the depreciation of the equipment (we had bought a bunch of new stuff). Then we doubled that number and called that regular price for the first summer. We then offered the lower price as a special limited time introductory offer. We booked 3 weddings at that price telling people that we haden't done a wedding before, they were taking a big risk, and hence the low price. After we did the first wedding we discontinued the special price and haven't offered any deals since and have since doubled the prices again for this year.

I personally don't like to negotiate. The unfairness of it bothers me. If i can do it for less for the couple that claims to be poor then i can do it for less for the couple that does without in other areas of life inorder to pay. I know far too many families that think they cant afford something and still have digital cable TV, cell phones, leased SUV, smoke, and drink plenty expensive drinks on the weekend. While other families prioritize and if a good photographer is something they value then they will pay for it somehow.

Answer to question:

To get your name out there - NO. You would be building a false reputation as a cheep photographer that will hurt you in the end.

To build your portfolio - Yes. if you can afford it and it is worth it to you. But give them less or you will be ripping off all the other people that just pay full price.

There's a point at which to not negotiate; however if you need portfolio material and experience and a couple are prepared to hire you despite a lack of proven work and experience, then go with the advice to do it reduced price but strictly confidentially.

If you don't really need the work for the reasons above, tell them to go find some other mug, politely.

Although most photographers have a knee-jerk reaction about new photographers working cheap, perhaps because they fear being undercut, or because they don't like to see photography undervalued, they would be happy to have you come along and assist (to build up your experience) without paying you so much for your time (after all they're doing you a favour too).

It's your business and your reputation, build it and use it wisely.

Edward--fabulous photo of your kid! The scenery is beautiful too. Where was it taken?

Kelly--Not worth it to me. As someone above said, once you do it once (especially if it is not for a close friend) everyone will begin to expect it from you. Also, people who want special accomodation will want other things free later. That or they will be picky when the results come and expect you to bend over backwards for them again and again.

Kelly - The only time I'll back down from my normal fee is if the wedding is mid week. Won't discount for Friday, Saturday or Sunday and no Holiday Mondays. Problem is - if you do take it and give a discount - You'll kick yourself later when someone calls willing to pay full price.