How to take 8x10 camera and gear on a plane???

ryan_mcintosh

I will be leaving the country for about a week soon, and wanted to

take my 8x10 camera, big tripod and everything that goes along with

it. I have decided to mail my 8x10 film, just to be safe in

airports...but what about my camera and tripod?

I currently have a large monorail Calumet, which will not fit into a

backpack and I have no case for it. I could possible fit it into a

big duffle bag...but I dont think they would let me take that on as

CarryOn. Is it safe to check it?

Also, my tripod is VERY big and heavy for the 8x10. What would be

the best way to take that also. I assume to check it as luggage, but

should it be wrapped up or in a box?

Thanks so much. Any help is needed.

Ryan McIntosh

I would strongly recommend against checking your camera, especially without a hard case. There are too many opportunities for damage or theft. I don't mean to suggest that the airlines hire untrustworthy people who intentionally damage checked items, but... As for carrying it on, you might want to take it to the airport that you will be using and checking with them to see if it can be carried on without a case. They may or may not allow it. Even then, you cannot be sure what they will say on the day you leave, or what the departing airport will say. Your best bet might be to try to find a case that meets carry on size requirements and then carry it on.

The tripod may be fine if it is packed in a box with some padding. Try the shipping stores found in many strip malls. They should be able to package it for checking on a flight.

My personal experiences with airports span the range, everything from easy going to complete stonewall attitude. As always, your mileage may vary...

- Randy

Randall gives you a good advice. I would like how one of my best Nikons was literally bursted inside a checked suitcase. I don`t want to give them a second opportunity.

I keep -always- with me the camera, lenses and other fragile material. Take care that your hand luggage is under allowed weight. Usually I have not problems with it, even if size is higher than recommended. If there is a problem, I always ask to be hand over the stewardess in cabin. Last time my hand luggage exceeds the allowed weigh, but it was compensated with a lighter suitcase (after a long chat with the checking point manager).

About a big tripod, they always ask me to be checked. I have an original padded bag, that I also cover with bubble plastic foam or so, specially over the head.

You must have a good camera bag or case. It is worth to spend your money on it. A badly covered big tripod inconvenience you and looks like a dangerous fire weapon in certain places. Security staffs look at this items with fear. A tripod inside a cool nice Manfrotto or Gitzo bag looks like an artist`s tool. The same for a LF camera.

Probably not a good idea to ship the tripod in a soft bag, there are tube shape tripod case that are rigid and padded and design and built for this purpose.

As for the 8X10 see if it fits in the largest carryon regulation tenba aircase or lightware case

It is best to carry your most fragile / valuable items in your carryon luggage. Your most fragile / valuable item is probably your lens or lenses. After that, your camera. If necessary, disassemble your camera to fit into your checked bag. The airlines are more strict about carryon luggage dimensions than they used to be -- the limit is typically 9 x 14 x 22 inches. (Non-US airlines can be more restrictive.) On US airlines, weight is unlikely to be a problem and no one will check anyway. If you fly a small commuter plane, you might have to do a planeside check of a larger carryon bag. I find this OK since they seem to treat these bags more carefully (under the eyes of the passengers) and you get your bag back as soon as you get off of the plane.

You don't have to carry your camera on the plane in the same way that you would when you are about to use it. You can take it apart and warp in bubble wrap or thin foam -- but make it easy to examine since the inspectors might want to look at the pieces. If you need tools to assemble/disassemble your camera, you probably need to send these in your checked bag -- even small screwdrivers are banned by the TSA.

If you take any film, be sure to carry your film, because sometimes checked baggage is x-rayed with machines that will damaged unprocessed film.

I send my tripod inside of a regular suitcase. This gives it some protections and isn't conspicuous. If you try to carry the tripod on board, there is a risk that it will be refused due to its similarity to other items that are banned by the TSA. Even disassembled, your very big tripod will probably exceed the 22 inch limit.

Typically the airlines won't pay for photographic equipment that is lost or damaged in checked baggage. Your current insurance policy might not either, so if you decided to check something valuable, you might want to check with your insurance agent.

I've flown many times with my big old heavy duty Bogen tripod stuffed in a ordinary though very long duffle bag (about 42 " total), along with some clothing as padding. That said, I'd rather use a Lightware or similar case that is stiff and well padded. I've also used well padded golf bags cases designed for airline travelling to carry my light stands, small tripods, etc. for travel ....

As for your camera-- you are inviting disaster carrying it onto a plane no matter what you do UNLESS YOU DEDICATE AN OLD FASHION AND VERY HEAVY DUTY SUITCASE THAT YOU THEN CUSTOM PAD FOR THE CAMERA-- which you will also need to break down into separate standards if you expect it to survive. And it doesn't sound like that is possible.

A number of years ago I used to take an oversized duffle bag holding a big telephoto plus both a small F3 and large F-1X Domke bags stuffed with my 35mm equipment, AND a Toyo 4x5 kit in a big case all as carry on luggage, but I very much doubt they'd let me get away with that again. IN fact, the only reason I got off Aruba the last time was because the plane was fully loaded before they discovered my big f/64 case couldn't fit in the the overhead bins of the Airbus (my 35mm stuff just made it). The stewardess was going to angrily throw me and all of my equipment off the plane until the pilot thought to ask if I also had checked luggage, and since I did, the pilot had her stuff the case in with the crew's luggage. To do otherwise would have resulted in the complete unloading of the plane to find my checked bags.

I wouldn't even consider checking that equipment with the airlines! But if you have to, then it's time to get a custom made case that also conforms with current and possible future regulations. If that isn't doable, then leave it behind and get something that can be safely taken, like a field camera.

Ryan-why does it have to be an 8x10? I have a 4x5 wista in a Zone-VI bag that contains all my lenses; etc. On my back is a small knapsack with my filmholders and film if I haven't already shipped it ahead.I stay with my stuff. There are courier services that will handle your eqipment and get it to your destination. KISS

Peter

You will not be capable of taking your current 8x10 equipment on this trip unless you are willing to invest many hundreds of dollars into a certified professional case. You cannot possible check it in as carry on because it is to large and without a case, it will most certainly be damaged. To what degree is the only unkown variable.

Let's be real in the real world. We would all like to be able to carry huge cameras around the country or the world but it is not always feasible. I feel that you must overcome the logistical issues months in advance - not weeks ahead of a departure if you expect to pull it off.

Would I settle for a 4x5 or 5x7 rather than not being able to bring the 8x10? Absolutely.

I am heading to Europe in a couple of months and although I consider 8x10 my "minimum" format these days, I have decided that the 4x5 Technika will be my camera of choice simply because I can get the entire operating system in one pack that will go through security and fit in the overhead. The tripod will go in the luggage.

Wishing you the best in your decisions.

Bogen markets a couple of hard tripod cases, primarily for movie work. They're not very expensive, but neither are they padded. The cases are very tough, similar to SKF molded cases (SKF is probably the source). A few yards of bubble wrap would protect the tripod. I traveled with one through Europe holding a tripod and several lighting stands. The latch is somewhat exposed, so a case with a recessed ATA latch would be preferable (see below).

The camera would best be shipped in an Anvil case, which are used extensively by touring sound crews. They're not cheap, but are nearly indestructible and can be configured to hold anything safely. Expect to pay $500 to over $1000 for a case the size you'll need. Of course, sound crews have roadies - an tempting idea every time I reach for the aspirins after a job.

In the good old days you could pack away your valuables in a beat up old clamshell suitcase along with lots of padding, then lock and tape it with duct tape to discourage thieves (as well as make it stand out at the luggage turnstiles).

Nowadays the security wonks want to inspect (and sometimes also steal) from those cases. You will face this no matter what you use, so IF you have to check any of your equipment, be surte it's well insured, then tape together everything you can, photograph everything before hand and during your packing with a digital camera, and make it as tough as possible to steal small valuable items.

It would also be nice if someone made a receiver that would set off an alarm if a piece of luggage got too far from its companion luggage, but I'm sure the security wonks (and baggage handlers) would absolutely freak out if this happened! Then again, maybe a security device (like a RFID chip) COULD be hidden in your valuable items and designed to set off an alarm if it is taken too far from its place in the case!

As for additional padding in a tripod case/bag or suitcase, try the sleeping pads used by backpackers-- very light and provide excellent padding for minimal cost (as well as eminently useable at your destinations).

"Ryan-why does it have to be an 8x10?"

I have been shooting 4x5 for many years now, and recently got into only 8x10 contact printing. The 8x10 has become the ONLY camera I use now.

I am thinking about getting a hard suitcase and wrapping the camera up with a huge blanket and maybe place some foam inside the case to keep everything from shifting. I CANNOT afford 500 dollars for a hardshell camera case right now. I will also wrap the ground glass with tape and possible sandwhich that between board, so that will not get broken. The lens will be taken on as carry on.

My tripod will be checked in a box most likely.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I still have a few months to find and make the case for my camera. When I do...I will test it out by throwing it around in the air like they do at the airport. hahaha!

Thanks again,

Ryan McIntosh

While the hardshell and aluminium cases already mentioned will likely withstand rough

handling by baggag hendlers they are not built for that. No case is unless it is rated to do

so with an official ATA rating. AFAIK the now discontinued Rimowa Tropicana cases were

the only photo cases so rated. Find a used Anvil or similar case that is so rated and

modify the insides to fit your gear. Also make sure your gear is insured but don't count

on the compsny paying a claim if you are using an unrated case.

• 2 years later...

Just disassemble the damn thing and reassemble when you get there. There should be plenty of room in a decent size carry-on bag for the camera when disassembled. Carry your film. You trust the mail carriers? I've been through countless airports (as have most journalists) with film, and never had a problem. You'll - see try it.

Good luck. Sorry this answer is more than two years late.