How many of you still use an ancient DSLR?

I have two d2000's that i still use- good for newspaper work, where huge having many Mpix's aint esentially- i love the 1n body that is built on- good A/F metering ect. It is a monster however, and quite heavy.

I will soon be selling them to get a 10/20d as im looking to do more nature / landscape stock stuff, but i feel that while the image quality at big enlargements will + high ISO's will be Wonderfull (the d2000 is very noisy at high iso), i think il miss the Af and metering on the d2000.

I could better answer Ron's original question if he could kindly clarify what he means by "stuck" with. Could he mean not being able to get rid of it, or maybe because it may be antiquated by today's standards, that it is not a new model self-propelled, gas powered, do-it-all-for-you model with boodoo megapixels, or maybe Ron is just being a snob and wanting to know how many poor bastards like me are out there who are "stuck" with a crummy 6months-to-year-old camera?

The "stuck with" comment was a joke (allthough it may well be true with some very old bodies)

<P>Yeah mostly i was curious about the pre 98? models of any brand.<BR>I remember desperately wanting a digital SLR not too long ago and was seriously considering one of these as it was i could afford(allmost,not quite).I kind of liked the nikon/kodak 315 model because it was based on one of the sexiest camera bodies ever made.Unfortunately it also had an incredibly large growth hanging off the bottom of it :-)!

<P>I also considered one of the early EOS 1 based kodak bodies.One of my ebay customers had one so i managed to find out a little about them.

<BR>He bought it secondhand off ebay usa for a good price of au$900 and told me he's sell it for about $1500++ six months later.

<BR>Last i saw he was having his second attempt at selling it and the price was refusing to go much over au$350. I never did ask him how much he got for it as he's a nice guy and i didn't want to rub it in :-)

<P><P>Oh-and to finnish my own saga-just at the time the 300D came out my finances improved enough to make the plunge :) :)

I bought my D60 as a pre-order from Ritz before they came out and still use it today. Sadly I'm going to be retiring it because my wife dropped it and although it still works, it's not quite right any more. I think she damaged something in the AF because the entire time I've own the camera I've never had any AF problems, but shortly after she dropped it I started having problems every once in awhile.

Even though the D60 cost me $2200, the part I love is that I've paid for the camera at least 2 or 3 times just in developing/printing costs - and being free to experiment at will without worrying about the cost is priceless :)

Not a DSLR but I do still use a Leif DCB1 back. It is old but it is still a great back. It cost

about 30K 8 years ago but can be purchased for a few grand used. It still works great

-only 6MP. Not very large image size but for studio photography it still easily beats my

new Canon 1ds mk2. I love the Canon but for studio work you can't beat a 3 shot back.

14 bits capture makes a huge difference as does the filter wheel.

bob

• 4 weeks later...

I have a D60 and it is my primary camera for almost all occasions. Check the gallery. The D60 pics are just as sharp and colorfull as any of the newer models. What it all boils down to quite simply is the photographer.

Any disagreements please push F5. Thank You ! :-)

I use a decrepit D30, one of the early adopters. I got the G1 for 1 week and by that time I realized the future is digital. It is quite funny to see this question because a 20D user recently accosted me and said that I must have been a very dedicated photographer if I were one of the original D30 users, when the machine still cost a bundle. That being the case, why shouldn't I upgrade to a newer machine?

Well, I can easily get a newer dSLR, but the one that I want to get, a 1DS,really cost a bundle, and it is heavy. If I get a 20D, it would be more of the same thing - better performance at high ISO, better AF, better ergonomics. What's the point. These things do no matter because I primarily use my dSLR to take photos of my daughter, monitoring her growth. The D30 performs completely up to specs.(I also own a D70 and another set of Nikon lenses and I don't really prefer one over the other).

I don't know about the older Kodak SLRs, but I think even a D30 is a lot of camera for any person. Better spend the money on lenses.

• 1 month later...