medium format lens questions

a_baldwin

Am leaping into medium format from 35mm- need answers to many basics

which i am not finding in the books i've purchased-

first any really good detailed books you would recommend for medium

format ( have a mamiya 7II en route)?

Second can I use my teleconverters and nikon diopters, polarizing

filters etc from my 35mm on my 80mm lens which comes with the kit?

any best piece of advice for a medium format beginner?

Thanks

I don't know what information you are looking for on medium format, but "rules" of composition and exposure do not change.

I am unfamiliar with the Mamiya 7II, but you most likely will not be able to use any lens attachments from your 35mm system on your MF system. The MF lenses are usually much larger to account for the image circle they need to project on the film plane needing to be larger to cover the larger neg. If the lenses aren't larger, then the camera needs to be larger, front to back, to allow the proper image circle to project.

Of course, if you have filters that will fit the diameters of your MF lenses, then they should work. I wouldn't recommend using step rings if your filters are smaller than the diameter of the lenses, as this will lead to vignetting.

Keep in mind, that my MF entry has been with a TLR, so I did not have those questions, as my lenses are actually smaller in diameter than my 35mm system, because the camera is deeper.

Probably the best place to start is with Mamiya's own sales lit. You will see what the company offers as accessories to the camera. You won't find much third party support beyond filters. So read through Mamiya's lit carefully.

If you have a Mamiya 7II coming, perhaps you already know its an RF camera. There will be no tele-converters. And you won't be looking through the taking lens to focus.

What you will get, however, is one of the finest 120 format camera and lenses. Think Leica M7 rather than Nikon SLR. Since there is no mirror flopping about, the lens designs don't have to be implemented in some kinky optical formula. The wide angles are all of 10 element Biogon design and are stunningly sharp. The std. 80mm is a plasmat design and is equally stunning. Long lenses are limited to a fairly usable 150mm APO. But that's just about it. Think Henri Cartier-Bresson and not National Geographic photographer's kit.

A nice resource for ideas is Hasselblad's websites. Mamiya's on-line resources are a little more limited, but might give you some ideas. They also offer a forum where you can ask questions.

Good luck. You won't believe your first chromes (if that's what you shoot). Prepare to be blown-away...

It is hard to suggest specific books for the M7II. Books tend to be oriented toward what you're photographing more than the specific camera, such as landscape, portrait, nature.

If you've bought a used camera, the manual may be downloadable from the Mamiya website. There's some other potentially useful inormation there as well. You cannot use teleconverters, they are specific to a lens mount. Filters may or may not work depending on their size. The Mamiya 80mm and 65mm lenses use a 58mm filter, the 43mm, 50mm and 150mm lenses use 67mm filters. If you have filters larger than these sizes, a step-up ring may be useful. They are available at most well stocked camera stores. If you have a bunch of Nikon 52mm filters, you're out of luck. Step down rings tend to vignette, but you could always experiment.

Starting with a Mamiya 7II is quite a leap from 35mm. You'll do well to read the many Mamiya 7 threads on this forum. A rangefinder is a different beast than the traditional 35mm SLR. It will take some getting used to, from remembering to remove the lens cap, to the often slower shooting style. You'll love the vibrationless almost silent shutter though. The negative size and sharpness of the lenses will blow you away. I enjoy mine.

Best of luck.

Well guys thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely be reading all the manufactuer's literature carefully. I guess that really is the best source. I do have some 58mm filters so those will cross over. Yes it is quite a leap- looking forward to the challenge. thanks again

'Yes it is quite a leap' I agree. Buying a not inexpensive camera like the Mamiya 7 without realising that a Nikon teleconvertor, will not fit a Mamiya bayonet, and that close up lenses and polarising filters are a challenge to use on a rangefinder. Almost any photography text such as Beginning/Advanced Photography by Michael Langford, The Manual of Photography by R. E. Jacobson, S. F. Ray, G. G. Attridge or Cameras and Lenses by Michael Freeman would have described differences and typical applications of different types and formats of cameras. There are countless other suitable texts around. Frankly I am surprised that someone with the means to buy a Mamiya 7 is unable to find the information either in a bookshop or online.

I was telling my friend who directed me to your forum, how nice it was to have a number of quick, helpful responses, and how especially glad I was that no one responded with the equivalent of "Jane, you ignorant slut"Guess I spoke too soon. Anyway, thanks to those of you who took the time to respond out of a genuine desire to help. I love being part of the community known as photographers. Thanks again. Amy

I can't think of any books specifically tailored towards MF, but here are two suggestions:

1) B&W Photo-Lab Processing and Printing, Julien Busselle. Has some very good work by various photographers who use MF cameras, ranging from 645, 67, 66 formats and covers both rangefinders (Mamiyas) to SLRs.

2) National Audubon Society Guide to Nature Photography, Tim Fitzharris. Fitzharris is a well known landscape photographer who uses the Pentax 645 system and the book has some good overall ideas on composition, use, and equipment.

RE: teleconverters ... NO, you cannot use your Nikon stuff on the Mamiya due to completely different mounts. If, on the other hand, you happen to have same size filters, i.e., a 77mm, 67mm, 58mm etc, those can be used.

Best advice for a MF beginner ... get a good handheld meter, preferably with a spot meter. Second, a carbon fiber tripod that is light enough that you will actually use it. One that is so heavy that it sits at home is useless.

Best advice for a Mamiya MF beginner ... always take the lens cap off ;-) I'm serious. Because the meter is not TTL (through the lens) you will not realize the cap is still on unless you deliberately take it off. Second, on the Mamiya 7, adjust the DOF scale to at least 2 stops lower than what the lens actually indicates. For instance, if you are at f/11, make sure your DOF infinity mark is conservatively set to f/5.6. Mamiya's lenses are notoriously overly optmistic about the DOF.

Best advice in general, whether in photography or life, ignore all idiots and enjoy yourself. The vast majority of people are quite helpful. A relative few are not. Stick with the former and good luck.

There are a few genuinely knowledgeable people here, but they are a small minority. I may be an idiot but at least I answered the question by suggesting a few books, which is not something anyone else bothered to do. Seriously though there are plenty of texts around, how difficult is it to locate a suitable one?

<i>any best piece of advice for a medium format beginner?</i><br><br>

I second the advice to get a really good lightmeter and use it. (I know that Mamiya 7 has a built-in lightmeter, but you can learn a lot by measuring light yourself and using different methods (reflected, incident, spot).

<br><br>

Also, do not try to mimick your 35mm way of doing things. Don't be affraid to do things differently and in different pace.

Thanks to everyone with book recommendations. I will be checking them out asap. I also have been spoiled by the excellent ttl metering with 35mm and was wondering if the Mamyia 7II's metering system is as reliable. Appreciate the advice regarding hand held metering- I think I will need lots of testing and experimenting to make this transition. My camera has arrived and I cannot wait to take it out for a spin.

The M7II's meter frequently leans toward behaving like a spot meter, so just be aware that it may not be as broad a metering pattern as the 60/40 center-weighted or matrix metering pattern you are familiar with on your Nikon. So your best metering practice will ultimately come from just practice. good luck and enjoy