Which is better: Flexaret VI/VII or Yashica 124 G??

chris_oconnell

I've decided to buy an inexpensive tlr camera and I've heard the

upper level flexaret models and the yashica 124G are really quite

good and inexpensive (all can be had for under $100). So, should I

buy the VI, VII, or 124 G?? Which one would you want the most if

you could just have 1? Thank you for your help.

The Yashica Mat-124G is the better choice. Very good ergonomics and a good chance that the light meter will work and be reasonable accurate. A working light meter is quite convenient but keep in mind not pointing the camera upwards when taking a reading. The Yashinon lens is excellent and the focusing screen quite bright.

All of the old TLRs with 4-element lenses are roughly equal in optical performance - they differ in mechanical reliability and ergonomics. Models by Minolta, Ricoh, and MPP are also worth a try. Don't set your heart on one model, just get one that's in good condition. My personal favourites are the Minolta Autocords. Not sure if they go for $100 though.

I have a Flexaret VI. It was my first MF camera. The viewfinder is very, very dark compared to my C330s and every other MF camera that I have used since. However, that is offset by the fact that the lens is great (although the coating is somewhat soft and easily damaged). The Yashicas that I have used appear to be very nice, and are much easier to focus. If I could go back I would have gotten a Yashica 124 instead of the Flexaret (I dont like solid black look of the Gs).

Various other suggestions have surfaced here...I will add mine. I only have experience with 1 TLR which I received as a gift about 1 month ago.

It is a Mamiyaflex C (I believe), manufactured circa late 50's.

Mine works well, and I enjoy using it. It may be around your price range, but I am not sure. You may see C220 and C330 advertised, they are later models, with the C330 being a pro model. They also have interchageable lenses (most Mamiyaflex do anyway)

I don't know if the Flexaret VI and VII series are more reliable than the V, but I have two of the latter. It didn't long after I purchased them for the film advance mechanisms to break in both. The Yashica 124 (and the older models with the Yashinon) seems a better bet to me.

• 1 month later...

buy Flexaret if you want a decoration for your working desk

buy Yashica if you want a reliable camera.

You know, I had 5 flexarets till now. Everytime the one got broken I bought another one. Buying another one is much cheaper than the repair. And 2nd shops here (Czech Republic) are crowded with Flexarets.

Flexaret VI can by bought here for 30 dollars in superb condition