Crested Butte - "off the beaten path"

ted_uihlein

(PS - <b>everywhere</b> outside of Crested Butte is "off the beaten path". Going through town and out past Gothic, you wind up in the Maroon Bells/Snowmass Wilderness Area; the most civilization you'll find up there is the Schofield (sp?) Pass jeep road).

I know where that trail is, although I've never been up it. Simply put, with the amount of moisture the CB area has gotten this winter/spring (and it's still falling), this should be a very good year for wildflowers in the CB area, and farther SW in the San Juans. Forget about specific mountains, valleys or drainages. You'll be able to find flowers almost anywhere you care to go. Drive over Scofield Pass and park at the Frigid Air Pass trail, which, last two times I was up there, the hillsides are carpeted with wildflowers, chest-high in some places. The road up Washington Gulch, the Gothic area and Paradise Divide will all be awash with blooms. To a lesser degree (due to its lower elevation), Kebler Pass should have some good blooms, as should the Beckwith Mountains. You won't go wrong striking out in any point on the compass.

The CB area has almost twice as much snow this year as it has for the past several years. In two of the last four years, the road over Schofield Pass has been blocked by the remnants of an avalanche until sometime in July. You can still get there (go over the Paradise Divide instead), but be aware that the most direct route may not be an option. It's also likely that the 4WD road along the Crystal River won't be open until very late in the summer. That road has a pretty high pucker factor anyway, so even without snow it's questionable.

"Off the beaten path" is relative. Compared to the middle of Nevada, the Crested Butte area is overrun with mountain bikers, hikers, four-wheelers, and photographers. Compared to New Jersey, it ain't half-bad. If you're looking for solitude, you'll have to hike into the wilderness area. If you're just looking for 'purty pitchers', you'll have lots of opportunities near the car.

I think quite the opposite, most places in the CO mountains are ON the beaten path to a fair extent.

There are a couple of books along the lines of "Colorado's High Thirteeners"- those mountains get a lot less publicity and travel than the 14'ers. And if you really want to get off the beaten path in CO, visit the eastern half of the state.

Heh,

Guess everyone's got their own definition of "beaten path". Todd's right, though - with the amount of snow CB's received this year, the wildflowers will be springing up everywhere. That avalanche block is a real showstopper for vehicles, if it's where I think it is (just outside of Gothic before you really get into the wilderness area). But hiking will get you somewhere you want to go anyway...

I'm not sure what bridge you're referring to. Perhaps one of these answers the question.

a) The avalanches I saw didn't wipe anything out, just blocked the road with snow well into July.

b) There's a new-ish (8-10 years?) concrete bridge just a couple miles up from Gothic - maybe halfway between Gothic and Emerald Lake. I'm not sure if the old bridge was wiped out at some point or what.

c) There's a ford at the top of the Crystal River section of the Schofield Pass road (beyond the pass traveling from Gothic), but I doubt if it ever had a bridge.

I suggest you take any of the trails off of Gothic Road that runs north of Crested Butte to Schoefield Pass. My two favorites for wildflowers last year were Snodgrass Trail and Trail 401, especially near the middle trailhead. Some of my best images were taken right along Gothic Road --just wildflowers or wildflowers with mountains in the background. Look at this link for other ideas: http://www.crestedbuttewildflowerfestival.com/

Just drive the local roads and you will find plenty of photo opportunities. If you are afraid of heights or don't like the "difficult roads" you can hire a jeep and driver. I am going to do this the next time I go. Joe smith

Ted-

I found this string a little late, but my 2 cents...When I was an undergrad down at Gunnison I never got tired of looking at the Bighorn Sheep in Taylor Canyon that runs east of Almont. OK, the canyon walls where they stay by the river and blacktop road is a beaten path, but it will take you to trailheads that head into some awesome territory on Fossil Ridge. I took my son up to Lamphire Lake last summer - it's still very nice and secluded.

Tim