Add a lens to my set

scott_milso

Here's the situation. I own an Elan 7 and an A70, and I'm the

yearbook advisor for the school I teach at. I just talked the boss

into ordering me a Rebel XT w/ kit lens, a 420 EX and a 1gb cf.

I think I can can get him to go for 1 more lens. Currently I

personally own 50mm 1.8, 28-105 3.5, Sigma 70-300, 35-80 (old rebel

kit). I don't mind using my personal lenses for the yearbook, but

limited to adult supervision. Of the following which would you

choose (1.6 crop), considering photo journalism, sports, people,

some portrait and whatever else comes up

17-40 L, or

24-70 (this is where I'm leaning), or

70-200 2.8 (no IS that would be pushing it $$ ), or

100 macro 2.8 (portrait and it would be nice to have macro), or

85 1.8 (I've always wanted this, I love fast primes and shallow dof)

Thanx

May I suggest the Tamron SP 24-135mm. This is a really highly rated lens and offers a great amount of flexability in range and isn't priced bad either, plus Tamron is currently offering a $40 rebate through the end of April.

After a lot of research, I just ordered on for my Konica-Minolta 7D.

Scott, with all the shots your students will have to take in classrooms, group photos, etc., I'd recommend you go for the 17-40L to allow you the widest angle possible within your choice of lenses. I've used it with great results on both film and digital (Elan 7e and 20D) and it seems you have a good selection already to cover the middle and longer ranges. Good luck!

You do likely need a wider angle lens but the 17-40 is a lot of money to blow for a moderate wideangle lens. I'd buy a used EF 20-35mm f3.5-4.5 instead (the difference between equivalent 27mm and 32m is not that big). That leaves you a bunch of zooms with lots of coverage for emergencies and you did say you like primes so how about the Canon 200mm f2.8 L and Canon 85mm f1.8. Outdoor school sports and outdoor candid portraits could be nicely covered with the 200mm. If you can find a used one you would have room in your budget for a new or used 85mm f1.8. If you want macro on a budget later on you could get an extension tube. Just some ideas!

Hello...I don't think you need another wide angle...the kit lens would cover 18-55mm...you will need a longer lens for sport photography...the 70-200 f2.8 is actually considered one of best portrait zooms so it could actually serve both sports and portraiture...the 24-70 would be a great lens to have...but that would render the 18-55 as a backup lens without a good sports shooter...maybe you can convince your boss to let you get a Tamron 28-70 and 70-200 f4...the Tamron is highly rated as well as the 70-200 f4...with ability to use higher iso settings and noise cleaning software...you should be able to get some decent shots off...hope this helps...

I'm with Carol with the 17-40/4.0. You might even consider the 10-22 as group class room shots are hard to get, in limited spaces.

For sports, the 70-200/2.8 would be your best choice. Fast, total image quality and allows one to get up close and personal from a distance; really shines at a football or swim and track meet. This lense couples very nicely with a 1.4x TC for versatility. Cost wise, the 70-200/4.0 is one of Canon's sharpest zooms and also marries up well with a 1.4x TC.

The 24-70 is a great lense to choose if you're using film, based on your above comments but is limited if on a 1.6x crop. I have a 28-70/2.8 and now use a 16-35/2.8 because of the limiting nature of the 28-70/2.8 on a 1.6x crop. For film, I'd even consider a used 28-70/2.8; bokeh to die for.

I'd hold on the 85/1.8 for next years budget as it's too limited in nature. Great lense, especially for low light basketball situations but the fixed, telephoto nature limits one as to what they can get around a school setting; next year maybe:)

Hope the above gives you some insight.

I can't see getting the kit lens AND the 17-40. Actually, the kit lens is quite good for $100. It looks and feels cheap, but is capable of nice, sharp images. Since you have longer lenses to use, you should consider getting a wide zoom. Either Canon's 10-22 or Tokina's 12-24, would be my choice. But if you want a better long lens to go with the kit lens, Canon's 70-200 f/4L is a very good pick. I think your students would prefer it to packing the very heavy f/2.8 version around.

Scott, I taught high school journalism for years, including yearbook and newspaper photography, and know what a challenge getting decent photographic equipment can be.

I also currently own the Canon 24-70 f2.8L and 70-200mm f2.8L and, as great as they are, would not recommend them for use by students. They are simply too heavy and too costly for use by many hands, most of them inexperienced.

I do suggest that you use zooms, though, to keep the lens changing to an absolute minumum so the XT's sensor stays clean. I also suggest that it is the school's responsibility to provide photo equipment for the yearbook, and that you not lend yours to the cause unless you are using it yourself. (I learned this the hard way years ago when a student accidentally poked her finger through the shutter of my SLR when changing film).

You might find a second DSLR and a telephoto zoom more useful than an expensive L lens. Why not buy an original Digital Rebel at the current deep discount price, plus a Canon 75-300mm IS to go with it.

I'm not sure why you'd need macro shots for the yearbook but, if you do, use Kenko extension tubes or a Canon 500D diopter.

Thanks,

Still up in the air on this one. Now maybe I'm leaning towards 70-200 2.8, with the 2.8 and long focal length I could use it to isolate subjects and for football and other sports.

As for the macro, I don't "need" one, but this year when the students got their class rings I was thinking "Damn, I whish I had a good macro lens to get a class ring shot" Who knows, it seems to come up every now and then, and the 100 macro could be used as a portrait lens, although the "portraits" are done by a pro in a studio.