Leica IIIG not a IIIC How much to pay?

durr3

The Leica IIIC that my brother found turns out to be a IIIG with what

he said was a 90,35, and 50 lens, one lens case, viewfinder, and

manual. If it is in excellent condition, how much should I offer?

Thanks for your help.

Before you can determine the price, you will need to know whether it is a IIIG, the last, most sophisticated and most expensive of the LTM cameras, or a IIIa (essentially a III with a top shutter speed of 1/1000), which was sometimes referred to as a IIIG, which was a much earlier, much less sophisticated (and thus much less expensive) camera.

The IIIa (G) was made from 1935-1950 and had serial numbers from 156,201-360,100. The IIIG was made from 1957-1960 and had serial numbers running from 825,001-988,350.

I sold my IIIg about four months ago is excellent cosmetic condition with a $250.00 restoration having just been done a year before by DAG (one of the countries best Leica service persons) I sold it via Ebay with excellent photos and a super good seller rating it was probably around 600 with a 99.9% rating at the time. I got $850.00 I thought it was a little low but that is what the market paid.

the 50mm will vary a lot depending on which one of the five or six it could be But $100.00 to $350.00 is about the range for the more common optins but this can go way higher depeding on what the lenses are. The 35mm is most likely an Elamr or Summaron and $250.00 would be a top dollar price for one if it is an f3.5 if it is an f2.8 then add $100.00. The 90mm is most certinly an Elmar and will bring about $150-175.00 for a super nice one. SO $1500.00 is no deal it is what I would expect this outfit to sell retail at a dealer.

But as condition and rarity is everything in collectable Leica in order to know anything but a wild guess exactly what you are buying would have to be know right down to serial numbers filter thread sizes, and a dozen other minor variations.

I'm in the same pickle with my Leicaflex SL. I put it up for sale here on Pnet, and if it does not sell for my asking price of $500 which is kind of high compared to what they are going for on Fleabay, then you bet I am going to consign it here in Tokyo where the same cameras are in stores with $900 price tags. Fleabay probably gives you an accurate idea of what a thing is really worth, but niche markets like Tokyo where they do not trust fly by night operations like Fleabay, are going to give you a different price. I reckon your IIIg would fetch a good price here in Japan, where Leica collecting is serious business, but then those Japanese do bid on Fleabay as well!

OTOH, Japanese lenses which I picked up for a song in Tokyo sold for a mint on Fleabay, so go figure!

It's all supply and demand in the end. Find a market where supply is low, and demand is high, and sell it there!