jpbarilguerard

So I recently bought some studio equipment, and I thought I'd try my

hand at fashion photography. I don't know many models yet, so I used

my sister for the purpose. Heh. I didn't have a make-up artist nor a

stylist on hand, so bear with me here.

I feel like I could have done better, still: the shots look more like

bad taste than fashion to me, but I'll let you guys judge. I guess

I'll learn with time.

First picture was bad, second was truly awful, third was just bad again. Those are not fashion shots! With that model you need to put some clothes on her. Then you might get something resembling a fashion shot. I suggest shooting outdoors where most fashion shots are taken. That way you can concentrate on the model and clothes and less on the lighting. Look in some good fashion magazines like Elle, Vogue or Bazaar.

The first shot is a nice modeling type shot but not really 'fashion'. She looks attractive and nice in that shot with some nice lighting.

In shot #2 the model is in a really unflattering position and the lighting isn't helping.

I wasn't crazy about the last shot.

I think the best way to start is to find an image that you like (actually find a few) and then go through and try to make the lighting on your model look the same. Good luck.

Josh

it's very important that her eyes match the expression on her face, which is contingent upon her not being bored; an instructor of mine is famous for saying that you have two minutes before the model gets tired, and times us to that effect; if you have to sit fiddling, even a saint would droop, and several of your pictures show her so

I agree with the lighting comment. I think the lighting can work, and find the middle photo interesting. Here's a rendition with a small amount of postprocessing. These photos don't really qualify as fashion photography, but they work pretty well as portrait photography.<div>00B65w-21808184.jpg.04af88d2a57c02c30188e72f1e672459.jpg</div>

Jean-Philippe,

These aren't bad pictures, just a tad inappropriate. By that I am not referring to the model, her poses, her outfit, of your lighting. I'm referring to the combination of them. You have your attractive model wearing a glamour outfit, and striking glamour poses, but you're using portrait style lighting. The combination throws off the photo, and leaves the viewer scratching their heads for a while.

Fashion/glamour lighting tends to be flatter and broader, without so much of the feature defining dramatic shadows that make up portrait lighting.

Like the other Mark L said above, they look more like portrait shots than fashion, but the sultry poses and expressions don't go with the lighting used.

Thanks a lot for the comment, everyone. I'll keep reading up and try other things. We all have to start somewhere... :)

Would butterfly lighting coupled with a hair light work for, say, the first one? Should I diffuse or not? What color reflector should I use? Any other important points I should keep in mind when setting up the lights?

Anyway, I'll get myself a couple Vogues and try to find something I like and reproduce it, as suggested.

Again, thanks a lot for all the critiques!

I hope you don't mind me playing around with one of your photos but I couldn't resist. I like the pose and all except maybe the hands(??) lol. I'm not very good at editing and I know I didn't do the photo justice, but I tried. ok. Pretty model by the way. I like it.<div>00B6Pt-21813184.thumb.jpg.a609662945745d8988559f3625c456ed.jpg</div>

Glad you like it. Well, I used about all my knowledge of photoshop I think. haha. Like lasso the eyes, copy, paste, then switch their mode to screen, flatten layer, then go over them lightly with the the dodge and burn tools with the opacity way way down. Lightly go over the skin with those same tools and the blur and smudge tool. Apply Distort/Difusion Glow to a layer then opacity that down to like 10-20 percent. You know, all the usualy stuff. haha It's hard to explain because I don't know what I'm doing, but it sure is fun. You get to work on some pretty pictures!!!

I like photo #2 and editied it a little. Here it is, hope you like it. I just love the expression she had on her face. That is a real pretty gal there I think.

I did #1 in B/W too. It's not bad. I'll post it too it if you want.

Again, nice job Jean. Keep it up.

RDee<div>00B6ko-21820284.jpg.a87a911eeadff7def056dae5d1e3670d.jpg</div>

I am also trying to do some work with young models just for fun and practice to keep busy. Here is my reaction for what little it is worth J.P. It would not hurt to remove the tacky innnapropriate wrist jewelry. Remove the piercings for the shoot. Have the hair styled a little more- ask someone to redo her hair to make the eyes look bewitching (they clash with the flat 'do' in my opinion. Then cover or cloan out the tattoos. Golly I wish I could locate a young model without the body art,or maybe just on the ankle thing. I am a sailor and it never got me eroticized, does it really? But I think the lighting is a matter of minor playing with. And the accessorizing and makeup are more to the point. My perspective,sir...Gerry Go for fashion with gusto. I think two lights no ratio and a makeup artist will do it,let's argue some more:-).

The model has an ugly stomach and should either cover it up (not just suck it in) or be posed so as to stretch it out by arching her back. The tattoes are unsightly. Part of the art of photography is disguising flaws and emphasizing assets. The models face is pretty, maybe she has good legs? Regardless, cover her up and try taking fashion not bathing suit shots - she does not have the body for it.

Nice girl, but definitely not a model, and not even close!<p>

Here's the scoop... as David M previously stated check out Elle, Vogue or Bazaar. Serious fashion magazines. Study them.<br>

Check out the modeling agencies.<br>

They always have new girls who need to get or update their portfolio.<br>

The agencies will have a better selection of girls than you or your friends because it is their business.<br>

You won't be able to charge a sou for your work, you'll spend losts of cash out of your pocket, but within a year or two you'll have a decent portfolio of your own to get real work.<br>

You'll give pictures to these models or would be models... either C prints, B+W, or transparancies for the privilege of photographing them.<p> BTW, you'll also be looking for beginner or aspiring makeup & hair stylists to trade with them for their services.<P>

Hopefully you'll have decent indoor space that's large with white walls, and a place to hang backdrops.<p>

It's either that, or outdoors for you.<p>

Good Luck!

the first thing that popped to mind was what are you trying to say with those photos? is it glam, body art, general modelling 3/4 body shot or just contrasty light test... it seems to be the last one sorri... as there's a couple things you need to refine. remember even though they seem like they should be so solemn and sublime beauty... naw... modelling can so fun so get her to smile and bust out some more funky moves or clothing

if i seem harsh, even just if it's the first couple shoots, i might point out somethings to avoid and be improve on, seeing how you dropped some coin for some nice lights, you got lots of time to practice

honestly... first one... could have been better if you had some more light on the eyes with a reflector, photoshop won't lighten details of her eyes that weren't there in the original, with the shadows makes the pupils look erie, and the eye colour, she might have beautiful brown eyes but you can't tell really... a bit of a spark would have livened them up so much

the straight on hips isn't working, it's doesn't matter who you are getting to pose, practicing photojournalism and getting completely non models to pose or catching them as they are looking natural is so hard to get the right angle, here you can at least direct her way more

as others have mentioned, there are tricks to get people to look their best, swivel the hips a bit and she'll be lose the stomach seems not tucked in... and not to be harsh to her as she's a beautiful model with nice hips

lose the stuff on the arms as other have said, why? jewerly should make the model look more attractive, not be busy and detract. shiny and funky stuff works, but the watches weren't even facing up. the other hand had a hair tie on it, but the necklace and belly stud are fine i guess

the last thing about the first shot that didn't work for me was the expression... i know modelling is supposed to look completely neutral and non-smiling, but she just looks glum like not even coy... compared to the most expression in the third where looking a bit contemplative as she's looking up, just crop the third one above her tattoos and lighten it up into clean up into a really nice photo

in the second one, it's sorta sweet but you had her slouch and that didn't look too flattering, this is like an extension of you never say it's not the pants that make the girlfriend's butt look big, you never want your model to look ackward on camera, make sure she never looks errr big or uncomfortable... though if you crop it just below her bust line, the second is an awesome sorta bitter sweet moment with the burst of colour from the flower, a back light on the hair would have made this one sparkle even as it's sorta sad

but the awkwardness is what doesn't work for me the most, it's in the hands... they seem like they should be higher on her hips, it's the most important part of the body besides the eyes in modeling, together they direct the focus and move the viewer's eyes around the portrait, here, they are point at the tattoos which she might have even covered with one of her hands and the fact that the belt seems too narrow and makes her look a bit on the big side, i'm not sure but isn't that's what big belts are for to make waist look smaller?

on the lighting, it makes all the difference doesn't it. modelling lights are sooo fun!!! i love the pure black background, it rocks for headshots, nude and modeling like you've done here, the hair is good, the torso alright if you had her swivel the hips a bit... um the light on the arms though, you might notice it more when in grayscale but one's got too much shadow and looks too thin, that woulda been just moving the light stand a tad forward to catch a bit more light

i don't know if i'm completely off on my critique but it's just an opinion, keep experimenting, that's how we get better, definately go outside and play under the natural light to see what happens, studying the falling of light on skin will help you tons in the studio where you are trying to fake it into something that looks natural to the eye, even with huge contrasts as you have tried here...

good shooting and keep that model, she's got some pretty features and definately go for more stuff!!! it's studying how the body moves and poses, not how gorgeous the model is, if you already know how this goes, then nevermind... but hope some of this made sense

cheers