http://www.ebcvg.com/articles.php?id=670

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/42040.html

I use windows XP home edition and I have enough trouble and I have

heard enough negatives about SP2 that I have not upgraded. The

articles on this new forced download all referred to corporate users,

so I don't know if this would affect an XP home edition user. Anybody

got more detailed information on this? Will I be forced to SP2 if I

upgrade anyting else?

SP2 has big problems with Norton Antivirus and certain other applications. It can prevent you from downloading updates and make uninstallation very difficult (to re-install after SP2).

If I were you I would FIRST uninstall your antivirus while off-line, then get online immediately and only with Microsoft (not opening any email or websites other than Microsoft's)and download SP2. Then reinstall and immediately update your antivirus before checking any email or visiting any websites.

It can be a hard transition but you have no option. Microsoft's next operating system nighmare will hit us in about a year, but Apple G5 users have their own problems these days too.

<p>Well, I think from a security standpoint, this is a Good Thing. Here's a list of known

incompatibilities w/ SP2 from Microsoft:</p>

<p>

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?

kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2" target="_blank">support.microsoft.com</a></

p>

<p>

Note that Photoshop CS on a 64-bit processor doesn't seem to work.</p>

<p>

But with companies using LAN's, their sys admins can block access to

windowsupdate.microsoft.com so they're not really forced to upgrade. You can do the

same or turn off Automatic Update.</p>

i am continually amazed at threads like this. what do people DO to their systems to have such issues? before you flame me, you can consider me a power user on steroids. i probably run more apps, in more variety than most people. I don't deny that people have problems, i just wonder what brings it on. I have yet to experience any issues with SP2. It was a nice improvement on XP Pro. I run Norton AV Professional AND Norton Utilities - never had a hitch with SP2.

sp2 is not the 'nightmare' some would have you believe. back up your data and try it out, or don't and lose out on any further updates. the suggestion to remove norton first is probably a good idea. run and UPDATE your antivirus, run a firewall, scan regularly for spyware, don't click every damn link that looks cute, read licensing agreements before installing anything "free", defrag monthly and eat your veggies. just a little basic maintenance will keep you happy.

You don't have to be a geek to have a stable, secure system. what you DO need to do is take the time to understand (even in a basic way) how your pc works and why it does things the way it does. For better or worse, a pc is not an appliance. you can't just turn it on, having no clue and not expect to have issues at some point. could it be different? sure. but thats not the way it IS. it really helps to think of a pc like a car rather than a VCR. like a car, some basic upkeep is going to be required to keep it running.

I only updated to SP2 about two months ago. I too kept reading all the horror stories and didn't want to screw up my perfectly functioning dekstop system. But, when I bought a laptop with SP2 installed, and after I installed all the programs that I want to run on it and they all worked, I took the plunge. The upgrade on my desktop went without a hitch. That includes working with Zone Alarm, Norton Antivirus, Netscape and Photoshop.

As a matter of fact, it went so smoothly I found myself wondering what all the fuss was about and regretting that I didn't do it sooner. The desktop was already stable. Now it's incredibly stable.

.......before you flame me, you can consider me a power user on steroids. i probably run more apps, in more variety than most people.....

Me too, but for sure not in WinXP, what I see pros still use W2k and the new server edition is still W2k based.

Yeah, I do not understand why people complain about the SP2 updates. I have Norton, Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects, Games, iTunes, 2 audio cards, 2 Athlon MP processors, Nikon Capture, Phase One and a lot of after effects plung ins and I have NEVER had any problems when installing updates from microsoft. And actually, I'm about to install another update right now.

Glad to hear that some folks are having no problems what-so-ever with XP SP2. However, I

think it's perfectly valid to have concerns about incompatibilities with ANY major OS

update and third-party apps -- whether they come from Microsoft, Apple, or the various

*nix communities. Things do break.

And just because you haven't had any problems -- and I hope that continues -- doesn't

mean you will not run into an issue down the road. As J S suggested, back-up your system

and files before *any* update and do a little research before hand.

My self built system accepted SP2 just fine. My mom's Dell lost HTML rendering in IE when we did it, got nuked when we did the rollback, and took a reinstall of Windows (basic reinstall no damage) to get working after that. After that reinstall it worked just fine which may imply that some major vendor systems might have "optimizations" which screw up under the upgrade.

Microsoft specifically states that Norton Antivirus IS often a problem. My DSL/Website ISP told me that it was a COMMON problem among "power users."

SP2 is a GOOD thing, Norton Antivirus is a BAD thing. Got it?

I only resolved my own problem by talking with Sony support...they pointed me to a site, now lost, that enabled uninstall of the SP2-corrupted Norton. I had experienced a)loss of ability to update antivirus (no notification) b)inability to uninstall Norton in order to install a decent antivirus c) inability to load any other (ie updatable)antivirus.

There are myriad unnanounced versions of every release (multiple versions of SP2 itself and of every "release" of Norton Antivirus...a deeply dumb app that I inadvertantly had on the particular computer).

Let's be honest: Norton's not done anything right in a decade.

EZ Antivirus from Computer Associates is FAR superior to Norton.

i'd definitely have to second the comment about dell/hp/compaq/et al systems having more issues then your homebuilt/local shop built pc. these companies only loosly conform to many standards and as a result incompatibilities occur more easily. most of my friends/family that come to me with system problems are running one of those brands. not saying their systems suck, just that i personally see more "flaky" issues on them. i know for a fact that dell pc's frequently have issues with norton products. i've nursed several hosed dells back to life that began freaking out during a norton av install. of course with all the copies of xp they buy, microsoft can't very well list the problem as specific to dell in their support info...

stay away from mcafee, the most intrusive AV program i have ever seen.

don't forget system restore in xp either. make a restore point before installing things. its usually very effective at backing out changes that turn into problems.

j s wrote: "... what do people DO to their systems to have such issues? before you flame me, you can consider me a power user on steroids. i probably run more apps, in more variety than most people".

Well js, as they say: "been there, done that". Starting with one of the very first IBM PCs back in October 1981 I tried to keep up with things and for many, many years I did keep up. I remember, however, that most desired thing about DOS 1.0 was the anticipation of DOS 1.1. I also remember being disappointed right through DOS 3.1 and onto DOS 5.0 and on into the world of Windows. Oh, how we laughed when Windows 3.0 came out. But that was a different life. I moved on and now I don't want to spend any time on PCs or networks or any of that stuff. I have a two CPU network, a firewall, and so forth but I only want it to work -- I do not want to fuss with it.

Several months ago I succumbed to the siren call of updating to SP2. BLAMM! There I was with a system that would not boot! It was 10:00pm and I was facing a whole night of work to restore things, and I have to get up at 5:45 to catch my train and I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS! Good Grief! Will Microsoft ever deliver a product that works the first time?! So I cried. When I finally got my system restored, I reloaded just the software I need for my interests and vowed never to touch SP2. I don't want to invest the time and effort to figure out why the upgrade failed because I have better things to do with my life.

In fact, I keep a WIN98SE system going because it has a 5.25" floppy drive installed and I still have lots of those in my cabinet. That system works just fine and has all the functionality associated with the programs that I put on it in the first place. I will probably keep it running as long as I live. Whatever problems it had, I have learned to work around them and I am happy. It works good and will last a long time. In fact, both my systems work good and I only want to keep it that way.

Mike S

WOW this is funny I have one of my computers that MS won't let me down load SP2 so now they are going to force the compter to take something they won't give me LOL

I have Norton on the one of the other machines and Mcfee on the other. So I wonder what will happen LOL.

Slight thread hijack... I don't use winXP at all, I use win2000 sp4. No major issues.

Here is how I keep my system safe:

I don't install anything that does not come from a reputable company/individual. But I still scan downloads.

I don't use Microsoft products outside the OS itself. That means no outlook or IE. I use Mozilla.

I keep my anti-virus software up-to-date. Everyone knows to do that. I use AVG, which is free for personal use.

I have both a hardware and software firewall. Zonealarm, free for personal use.

I run ad-aware and spybot routinely. Both are free.

I disabled the guest account, and certain services I don't need like telnet, messaging, ftp server.

My only recent conflict was when I installed PS elements 3.0 (experimenting with various 16-bit programs) - it interfered with iTunes and prevented me from burning CDs.

Before I invest further in software, I'm considering a move to Mac OS X.

More back on subject... I suspect that if you search, you will find a way to avoid that forced download if you wish to avoid it.

Guys, I have XP pro SP2 and Norton AV/firewall, I have had no problems of any kind. The one downside of WXP SP2 compared with W2k is that windows explorer is a lot less able to look at photos in a folder and present them as thumbnails. My W2k SP4 does that supremly well. I keep iTunes in the W2k machine.

There, I feel so much better with that off my chest ;-)

I ordered the free SP2 upgrade CD from MS, in case I ever need it, and then disconnected

my editing-workstation PC from the Internet.

We bought a new Mac iBook (for email, Websurfing, using Elements 3, and showing proofs

to clients) and Apple's $100/year "dotMac" service that includes a perpetually updated

antivirus program (NOT Norton).

I'm much more relaxed now.....

"Brandon's Dad"