New Planar M pictures in Japanese

jose_merino

BTW, the images from the zm do not look like colour equivalents of the (very promising) b+w image that Lutz Konermann kindly posted from a ZM 50 - one of these lenses, therefore, may be a deviant! (or perhaps Zeiss/Cosina have instituted a randomized quality control procedure to keep punters on their toes... or perhaps this is a lens that only gives nice bokeh when used in conjunction with certain silver halide emulsions)

Stephen, I wasn't disparaging the lenses. I know not how well they will do. I fhtey are anything like the ones I have used, I have no doubt they will perform impeccably, as well as Leica glass. My issue is with the supposed infallability of Leica no matter what. Leica are sharper, and then if something is sharper, then the other lens doesn't have the glow, which in and of itself isn't definable, and therefor cannot be refuted. I am looking forwarded to more lenses in M mount, it cannot be a bad thing. And the camera has potential too.

I can't make heads or tails of this site. My ability to decipher Asian languages is practically nil.<P>

Anyway, much like they did with Photokina, Zeiss is beginning to release little bits of information. For example, this month, (under the "News" heading on the official <a href=http://www.zeissikon.com target=_new>Zeiss Ikon site</a>), there is a link to a short piece about why this camera was conceived.<P>

May is still five months away, so it's a smart idea to do this in order to maintain some interest in the camera. By the way, the site mentions Sony as a "famous camera maker."<P>

More information is expected at the end of January.<P>

The one thing I noticed, and Bill might be able to confirm this, is that the photos on the site and on the PDF bear little resemblance to the photos in the actual brochure -- the kind you hold in your hands and not view on a computer screen. The photos in the brochure are very good, while they look like crap on the computer screen.<P>

In the same manner, I don't think you can adequately judge the performance of a lens with an Internet photo.<P>

By the way, Carl Zeiss AG has said for some time that the Planar is the most plagiarized lens design ever created.<P>

Yes, Mike the difference between the photos in the printed Zeiss Ikon brochure from Hasselblad & those on the pdf brochure that can be downloaded from the Zeiss Ikon website are strikingly different in quality. The pictures in the print brochure are stunning - sharp with brilliant color rendition. The same pictures in pdf seem drab & even fuzzy - just like the print in the pdf brochure which is fuzzy & a little hard to read.

Who cares? Either you have a Leica-M and Leica lenses or you have nothing.You bought the best, why settle for less.I recently added a 35-Summaron-f2.8 well used rather than a new VC lens.I want the 'special' look of Leica.I use Nikkors on my Nikon-F. All the other non-brand lenses, Sigma, Vivitar in my ownership and testing by usage are plain lousy.Zeiss is weird! What is to happen to the Contaxes, the SLR and G models by Yashica?I saw the Zeiss-site and new camera.Empty promises so far..

Jason:

Thanks for exceeding my already absurdly high expectations for snobbery on the Leica

board. Ironic that you point to a Leica "look", care to define it? We'll have to tell all hte

professional photograhpers out there using Nikon, Canon, Contax to come and see what a

real camera can do. Apparently they all use "nothing".

What load of carp.

Hahaha. You're obviously a connoisseur, Jason. Not like that ignoramus

Robert Capa, who namechecks his frankly inferior Zeiss Contax twice, during

his description of that photographic cakewalk, Omaha Beach on D-Day, in the

rather excellent Phaidon book, Magnum Stories (thanks, santa).