How do i carry a 70-200 2.8 lens in a wedding???!!

terence_uy

When I shoot a wedding I normally use one body only on me and bring a small light domke

shoulder bag to carry the other lenses. I Bougtht a new 70-200 2.8L lens to go with my

24-70 and 17-40 but the daM* thing is so heavy and large it wont fit in any of my small

shoulder bags I normally use for switching lenses, can shooters with a 70-200 share their

experiences on how they carry this lens during a wedding and how they change lenses

with it ( ie do you leave it with your assistant, do you carry it on your person?etc etc ) Any

advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Get a bigger bag!

I use a LowePro Pro AW II to carry a D1x, 17-35, 28-70 and 70-200 plus an SB-800 and extra batteries and CF cards. I can carry either the 17-35 or 28-70 mounted, but not the 70-200. You'd need at least 13" depth (or length) for that. Backup gear and heavy flash travel in a Pro Roller.

The bag is black; it blends with my Tux.

I leave it mounted to a D1x and carry the camera on shoulder. Have another D1x on a stroboframe around my neck. I've found lately that I'm using the 80-200 less frequently and now sometimes leave it at "home base" which is a big Lowe bag with spare batts, other lenses, D100, etc. In fact, at a wedding this past Saturday, the only time I used the 80-200 was during the ceremony. Rest of the time it was in my bag.

My own seemingly unpopular thoughts on the subject are that you gotta be nuts to carry all that weight around at a wedding! It wasn't all that long ago when medium format ruled and most photographers shot the whole thing with the 75 or 80mm lens that was on their Rolleiflex or Yashicamat. Now I carry 3 bodies set up with 21, 35 and 85mm lenses, a couple of Vivitar 283 flashes, extra synch cords, and on the rare occasion 85 isn't quite long enough I either walk or crop. Nobody used to have assistants either! The worst few years I went through were when I switched to Hasselblads, which meant extra lenses, but they weigh a ton! The switch to 35mm was liberating! Why go back to schlepping all that weight again?

I know it's nuts to schlep all that stuff around but in some churches, there's just no getting

around it, you need a long lens because of the distance restrictions. I'm already dreading

the first wedding I do. I might need to carry two small bags as my work-around solution.

One to put the 24-70 into when I change lenses, and the other to hold the 70-200, geez

what did I get myself into?

Different strokes for different folks. Some people like having everything on

them. Others carry what's needed at the time and leave everthing else in a

well insured roller bag.

I usually have a SLR with the lens I think I need, and a smaller rangefinder

slung over my shoulder and a 2nd rangefinder lens in my pocket. Small has

it's advantages when lugging around a pro slr and long zoom... which you can

just sit down out of the way and resort to the relief of the little camera that can :

-)

Well, everytime i review photos taken with it it seems just about worth it, i didn't think i

could be more in awe of a lens like the 17-40, then I got a 24-70 and i thought I couldn't

be in more awe, then I got the 70-200, and unless I get a 300 or 400 2.8 this is probably

the sharpest lens I'll ever own.

The technique I used at the last wedding I shot was to leave to 70-200 mounted to my tripod (with rear cap on of course) and mount one of my F100s to it whenever I needed to use it. I used the 70-200 mostly during the ceremony, and for staying far enough away during the bride/grooms first dance. Theere was one occasion when I removed it from the tripod, and handheld it to took a few images during the ceremony. I think it should stay reasonably safe on a tripod, which is (or should be) constantly in your line of sight.

Terence, I carry mine in a Lowepro belt pouch sized for this lens. It's similar to the bag the lens comes with, only it has a simple zip top so I can easily and quietly access the lens. I have a second pouch on my belt to hold my wider angle zoom when it's not in use. This way, I don't need to carry a bag with me everywhere and bend down/stand up to change lenses. Everything I need is on my belt. A second camera simply has a 50mm lens attached for available light photos.