8x10 film holder carrying case

b. edward sandifer

I recently solved a problem I've had with finding an inexpensive case to carry my 8x10 film

holders. I've been watching one type sold recurrently on the big auction site, but it was

selling for pretty high prices. Then one evening I noticed the overall size of my XBox

console was pretty close to the size of a stack of 8x10 holders. So I found a carry case on

the web made for the XBox and ordered it out for $17 plus shipping. It came today and I

fit five holders in the main part perfectly (maybe you could squeeze in a sixth). The

zippered compartment on the front of the bag holds my dark cloth. The bag is well made

of heavy fabric and has complete padding in the main compartment where the console

would go. The ancillary front pocket looks like it is lined with a waterproof nylon. The web

handle is permanently attached and runs beneath the main body of the bag for great

support. Hopefully this idea might be of help to another large format shooter.

I took an 8x10 film holder to Walmart and found an insulated picnic bag that fit it when I turned the holder sideways. It's by Arctic Zone, and you have to remove the hard plastic liner. It fits 12 8x10 holders, and I think was $11.99. I bought two, then went back with a holder and found a smaller one that fits 15 4x5 holders for $8.99.

Be sure to take a holder to try them on for size.

I have been putting my 4x5 holders in two of these soft sided picnic coolers for about two years. One thing that I found (I am relatively new to Large format) is that they will collect dust. I noticed alot of dust specks on my negs. I now line the cases with very large (one gallon) size zip-locks and have noticed my dust problem drop dramaticly. I keep my holders in these zip-locks from when they are loaded until exposed.