USB 2.0 reader, or PCMCIA?

I've read that although USB 2.0 is faster than a laptop's PCMCIA, as

far as CF readers, this is irrelevant because they are both faster

than even 60x CF cards can transfer. Is this true? Or should I

actually be looking to get USB reader?

USB 2.0 readers are now cheaper and more universally supported than PC Card type

readers. Yes, both types of readers are faster than a 60x card. There's little reason to lock

yourself into a PC Card device, though.

Godfrey

Hi Justin, The USB reader would be more portable - you could move it around if necessary, whereas a PCMCIA (People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms :) card will likely only work with your laptop. Best wishes . . .

Get a USB2 reader, but don't get the cheapest one you can find.

Anecdote / rant: I got a US$10 model, but the build quality was so crappy that the opening for the CF card slot was not the right size, potentially causing scratching or bending of any CF card inserted. A small pair of pliers easily effected the removal of the flimsy plastic front cover; now, it looks like .... but at least it doesn't damage my CF cards!

I have a USB 2.0 card reader and a PCMCIA adapter for my laptop. Downloading the contents of a CF card through the USB 2.0 reader is definitely faster than doing the same with the PCMCIA. The only advantage of the PCMCIA is that it's always in my laptop. If I'm in a hurry and want the fastest downloads, I use the USB 2.0 card reader.

My old laptop only has USB1.1, so I use the Delkin Cardbus32 PCMCIA adapter. With a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB card I get transfer speeds of around 7MB/sec.

I used to have an run-of-the-mill Dazzle brand PCMCIA reader and it was much slower.

So the question is, how fast is USB 2.0 compared to a Cardbus32 adapter?