.58 vs. .72 viewfinder on M cameras

I am leaning towards a .58 viewfinder on a new black M7. Is this a good move? I have a

.72 on my M6 Classic, and the viewfinder is a bit tight at 28mm. I rarely use 50mm

anymore -- I would use an SLR for that and anything longer than that. I understand from

Stephen Gandy's CameraQuest that the .58 viewfinder is being discontinued on all but the

a la carte program, so I was thinking about grabbing one now.

Thanks.

If you have the money, get it. The only way to really know is to try it and see.

Since the .58 and the .85 are only being offered a la carte from now on, these

finders are disappearing from dealer shelves, especially the .58's which have

been so popular. You might even have trouble finding one- seems to have

been a run on sales since the announcement was made that the high- and

low-mag finders were being discontinued in regular production.

Long term, it'll probably prove as wise a choice as it is to buy any Leica.

Either you'll love it, and keep it, or you won't, and you'll get a premium for it on

the used market.

If you wear glasses then the .58 is your only viable choice for use with the 28mm lens. I was faced with the same choices and wisely selected the .58 finder on my M7. I will admit that I purchased the 1.25x magnifier when I shoot the noctilux and 90mm lens which is about 25% of the time. If you don't wear glasses then the .72 would be preferred.

So great to hear. With this enthusiastic response on the .58, I'm surprised it's being

discontinued. Anyway, I made the decision thanks to these responses. Thanks a lot. It

really helps to hear, especially with the expense.

John, that's the exact combo I'm going to own as of next week -- a .72 M6 classic and a

.58 M7.

Somebody cut my credit card in half before I get an MP too. LOL.

You will very shortly begin to think of converting your .72 M6 Classic to a .58. How you see makes a real difference in shooting comfort. I find when using two bodies, it is a bit annoying to switch from a .72 to a .58 and back. I end up wishing I had a full brace of .58's. So I've been researching the conversion. Leica won't do it, but independents will. It seems likely to be an expensive conversion.

Peter, yes I am aware of the direction of the shutter speed dial. I have a tremendous

sentimental attachment to my M6 classic and don't want to part with it. I'm sure you know

how that goes. I'm going to see if the dial really annoys me and deal with it then. Besides,

I'd have to find a used M6 TTL, as they are also discontinued. Plus, I WILL probably

get an MP one of these days, so that problem will also loom anyway. But thanks for

pointing that

out. -- Steve.