standing up not laying down underneath a camera body where I cannot

reach them. I shoot photos of people: portraits, engagement photos

etc., I do not carry a lense on my bodies I assemble when I get to

where I am going but I do need to be able to switch lenses quickly in

some cases so easy access is a must. It would seem like I need a

smaller bag than the ones I am looking at but it seems like my 3 L

lenses take up the space of 5 consumer ones. I hope you Canon users

can suggest a bag you may have found/know about that I may have

missed. Thanks in advance for your replys/help.

Welcome to my hell. I try to carry 2 L zooms with hoods and they take up 4 inch holes and nothing I have ever seen will do that. Last week I was looking at the Domke F2, the largest Tamrac made (forget the number but it was huge),backpacks, etc.. and you have to make up compartments to hold lenses that way and its annoying

The other think you will find out is most bags that show you being able to keep a lens under the camera bodies is that it will only work without the vertical grip on. I always have the vert grip on + QR pad and the bodies just sit on the bottom of the bag and the lens gate thingies work fine.

I am almost thinking of getting those pick n pluck things for pelican cases and fitting it into one of my bags and making custom compartments.

The LowePro Off-Trail 2 might be a possible. It's a holster style bag with room for a pro SLR body and booster with a 70-200/2.8L mounted on it. There are two side pouches with inside dimensions of 3.5" x 8.5". I can get a Tamron 500/8 mirror lens in one. It should be enough for almost any Canon lens except for the long telephotos. They're wide enough for a 300/4L - but not quite deep enough.<p>

It's the bag I use most these days.<p>

There's a brief review on my website <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/lowepro_offtrail_2.html">here</a>

I'm a fan of the top loading bags personally. I used to use the LowePro Nova 5 and It just wasnt big enough and wouldnt hold my 2 bodies. I recently upgraded to the Tamrac Pro 12 and I like it a lot. It can easily handle my Elan 7 with its battery grip and 70-200 4L as well as my 10D on the other end with a medium size zoom mounted. It's also got enough pockets to handle almost every filter in my arsenal along with 4 other shorter lenses. I use the two loops on the bottom for a monopod. I really like this bag because its big enough to hold everything but small enough you arent a bull in a china shop in tight spaces.

http://www.tamrac.com/612.htm

>> I have been online looking at different companies/bags and things do not add up.

To me, bags and tripods belong to a category of their own in a sense that they require very personal fitting and what's good for me may well not be good for you. Thus I will - personally - never recommend a specific model. For example, I once saw on the web a bag that I really liked. However, when I got to the store and tried it out I found that it wasn't very comfortable. I tried another and - surprise - it was excellent. Thus I suggest you do the same. Go to the store and try them out yourself.

Suggesting a brand is a different thing and I (like many) find Lowepro bags to be excellent. HTH.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

The Lowepro Off-Trail 2 (great bag, deep enough for a body with a 70-200/4L, but pretty snug fit if the camera has a vertical grip) has a strap that was uncomfortable on my shoulder, so I replaced it with a wide, contoured, web/foam/elastic <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=287002&is=REG">Lumedyne Op/Tech Deluxe Strap</a> that was lying around. I then comfortably carried the loaded bag around DC for several long days of tourism without any pain or fatigue! The Optech strap was a couple inches shorter than Lowepro's, but the bag hung nicely at my side like a welcome armrest.<P>That strap would be great for similar small bags, but since the middle portion is only elastic and foam, it may not be suitable for larger, heavier bags.

I've got both Lowe Pro's S&F belt system (2 pouches & 2 lens tubes on a deluxe belt) and the Stealth Reporter 400 AW shoulder bag. These can swallow up a 10D with BG-ED3, 28-70 2.8L, 100-400L, 20 2.8, 50 1.8 and 550 EX flash.

You might find that the larger Stealth Reporter AW bags (500, 650) are worth a try. The belt system can be customised, but I must confess I don't half look daft in it...

Also, the Stealth Reporter bags will take any of the slip lock attachments, so you might be able to get away with a 400 AW bag and a lens tube or two attached to the outside.