German Optical Glass pt.II

david_fields1

Fundamentally, they are registered trademarks, that happen to be put on lenses manufactured by, or with the consent of, the owners of those trademarks. These trademark owners happen to be German companies.

Eg., a Zeiss lens isn't necessarily made in Germany, or even by the owner of the Zeiss trademark. Just like Ralph Lauren doesn't design everything sold under his trademarks...

(By the way, it's Summilux, which is a trademark of Leica Camera AG. No longer affiliated with Ernst Leitz, which spun off the camera company as a drain on their earnings.)

It all started with a character named Zeus & a character named Suess -

You may have read the story "A Lens In The Bag" ?

They needed a leader to make optics so they called Schneeder (sp);

He said - Jeez - Call Zees (sp); and so on the story goes ...

It's really not a very good story & there are a lot of questions as to their origins and whether or not it's a true story.

In the end they all ponder the sand surrounding them and proclaim "Someday we can sell the beaches to Panasonic" and live happily ever after.

For years people speculated as to what they meant by this.

Then of course the French tried to intervene ...

Seriously - I have a German made Summilux, others have Canadian made Summilux's, I have two Linhof lenses marked Schneider & certain Cambo lenses are made by Schneider - B&W filters are made by Scneider - it's a global market & one never knows exactly what's going on - add to that my Infiniti made by Nissan etc. & if it concerns you then I would suggest only buying lenses made many years ago - good luck!

My mother can translate that from German into English, French, Spanish, Italian, Greek and Latin. Yup. 7 languages she taught. She's dying of cancer right now. I video taped her telling some stories from her death bed (to my wife). No pictures today. German was my 1st language but I've pretty much lost most of it.

"Lux" means light in Latin. "Summi" I suspect has something to do with "sum" in English or "Summe" in German, which would lead to the Summilux meaning "light collector".

"Nocti" means "night" in Latin -- it follows that the Noctilux means "night light".

Just my conjecture.