Which AE-1 to service?

michael_m7

Hey all.

I've got two AE-1's that I picked up on eBay cheaply, and AE-1, and an

AE-1P. I've decided to get one of them serviced (they both work,

the AE-1P works better, but still needs servicing).

Question is, which one should I service? I don't use the program mode

on the AE-1P, so is there any advantage the Program offers that the

regular doesn't, such as better shutter, or more reliable ?

Thanks.

FWIW i first was given a Canon-AE-1. I simply found that changing film speeds was a chore. In fact that soon led to a service and repair. Some years later, again I was given a Canon. Its the Canon Ae-1Program. This is a great camera. Probably Canon's 2nd best after the A-1! I really enjoy using it. Its quick and very nice to hold, see and use. Fix this one first! I am a devoted Pentax user but the Canon is way better than my K1000. I like how one has so many choices. Choose shutter, go program or simply manual. If its not too much money, than fix the older one. They are not worth much..except to users like me! So see what another AE-1P costs and compare repair price to replacement.

Michael:

I'd get them both repaired, but perhaps at different times - budgeting.

My wife, Sue, has a AE-1, which hasn't been used all that much, but even so, I sent it in to Karl Aimo, who was a former Canon repair technician. Karl did an excellent and very reasonable CLA and even provided us with shutter and exposure tests. His email address is given below.

ae1repair@aol.com

I would also recommend calling Canon and have them provide you with a list of authorized repair facilities for the two cameras. Select a few, give them a call to find out about the availability of parts, if needed, estimate of repair costs, and what kind of repairs (how extensive) they do.

Hope this is useful!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Well I've been in touch with two places that service Canons (Melbourne, Australia), and have received two different prices ($100 AU difference). One place mentioned chaning the lubricant, while another said that the governer dries up, which causes the squeak (what's the diff between governer and lubricant?).

I have no idea how "talented" you have to be to break a camera by changing film... As far as the A1 being the "greatest" Canon... that comment is best quantified by reminding that it came from someone who broke a camera by loading film into it... My AE1 is great, I don't see any difference in ease of operation from the AE1 to most SLR's of that vintage, including this puzzling film issue... I've loaded mine in moving cars, while walking, running, and even up in a tree, in addition to the hundredsof times it was changed in "normal" conditions... I don't know about some people... There is no performance difference between the AE1 and the P - the P is newer and has that little grip that seems to work well, and it is handier for most people than the "original". Also, a lot of people find the shutter speed wheel awkward on the AE1 - the AE1P seems to have "fixed" that. As you can see, shoot a couple of rolls through both, see which one feels better in your hands - service that one. Neither has any "pro" level features, like adjustible exposure comp., changeable screens, mirror lock up or even exceptionally long exposures (you have to do it by hand!) - but they work rather well and seem to be reliable, take lots of cheap but excellent lenses, you can't go wrong with either - strictly a matter of preference if the P mode is not an issue.

Oh, I see - FILM SPEED - still, my comment stands - how can you break a camera doing that? That too is really no harder than most cameras. You pull and turn... pretty simple. At least you can't move it by accident, especially since its an shutter priority camera, you may be turning that speed dial a lot, without looking at it, if you want to use a particular apperture.