EOS 1 v with 70 Rolls

frank_mayer3

<p>AFAIK, the only roll counter which is visible to users (as opposed to service techs) can be reset by the user, and it would roll over after it hits the top of its range. So while the vendor may indeed be telling the truth, it's also possible that a dishonest vendor could show you a camera which has taken far more than 70 rolls yet shows 70 in the roll counter.</p>

A Canon Service Center can attact a doodad to the hotshoe and download the exact

number of shutter cycles into a computer. I had a tech do it to my EOS 3 at a Canon Days

clinic once.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Thanks for the answers.

The owner told me on the phone that the camera is in mint condition. Without any scraches. So he may be right with the 70 rolls. He seems to know not much about the camera because I told him how to read out the nummer. But what about the price of 800 Euros? Is it worth to buy?

Does anybody know how to reset the counter?

<p>Pardon me for perhaps being a bit cynical/suspicious, but how many people would buy a top-of-the-line pro body, not know much about it, and only shoot 70 rolls with it?</p>

<p>There are two parts of the number the body prints on the leader of your film (and uses to identify the shooting data for each roll). One is a two-digit number you can set by hooking the body up to your computer; the other is a sequential roll number. If it's possible for an end user to set the roll number (I think it is but I'm not 100% certain on that), I'd have to think it's done using the same software you use to set the two-digit number, as well as setting up the personal functions.</p>

"Pardon me for perhaps being a bit cynical/suspicious, but how many people would buy a

top-of-the-line pro body, not know much about it, and only shoot 70 rolls with it?"

Happens all the time. Middle aged gentleman amateurs with plenty 'o green buy expensive

toys, know nothing about them, get tired and sell them. We certainly get lots of silly

questions from yuppie puppies and gentleman amateurs that could be easily answered

with 5 minutes of study in a basic photography text or instruction manual.

In my business it's not unusual for a 40-something guy to drop 5 or 6 grand on a luthier

made concert guitar and only know 3 chords... It keeps money circulating and makes for a

healthy ecomony!

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Roger, indeed it has been a while since I was on the forum. I switched to digital when the 1DmkII came. From the start it seemed the ideal camera for me. And after having used it for 1,5 years it still is! I was lucky to get one of the first, and even then for a very good price. Until about two months ago I kept one 1vHS alongside. I hardly ever used it. I loved that camera. But I hate to scan slides. :-) So last month several times I was tempted to buy an 1v again. So far I have been able to surpress those feelings. :-)

Although the 1.3 crop factor is a great compromise between FF and APS and ideal for wildlife, I do mis being able to use my lenses for what they were originally designed for. Last month was my 25 year anniversary of using Canon equipment and the focal lengths and specs for 35mm format have just become part of my mindset. And I wish my 17-40 would be a real 17mm at the wide end again.

Hans, thanks for the reply. I too like that body and it will prabably be my first digital body. I'm using an EOS-3 right now and still shoot mostly sports, water-skiing and Motorcycle racing mostly. The one thing on the 3 that I would miss terribly would be the ECF (Eye Controlled Focus). It was the feature that allowed me to switch to autofocus and also the feature that kept me from buying the 1V (I tried both cameras together before purchasing the 3).

What were you scanning with and can you compare the results from your slide scans to the results obtained with your 1D?

Good to hear from you again!