Horizontal Reflector

randy_lovejoy

You know what an A-clamp is?

Set up the stand, position your foamcore horizontal with the top edge next to the topmost part of the stand.

Jam an opened A-clamp down over both the stand and foamcore. Kinda like a letter-T shape where the crossbar is that foamcore.

capice?

If the foamcore is more than three feet wide or so, one end is going to start falling down.

I second the A clamp thing...you can also use a Super Clamp (Manfrotto) or the Matthews version of it...For flat like a table a grip arm/head works, a couple of super clamps attached to each other works, or get the proper plate fitting from Matthews - they make such a thing but it is hard to find without ordering from CA.

Cecil Thornhill

RidgeLight Studio Inc.

I guess that I should clarify that I am trying to make the foam core sit like a table, maybe 1.5 feet from the ground. I can attach the board to a bar that extends out from the middle of the stand and can stick out horizontally but it stands about 3 feet from the ground, which is too high. My foam core is about 3x4 feet. Perhaps the Matthews clamp could attach to the very end of this bar and hold the foam core? Anyone have any other ideas? I appreciate your thoughts.

No problem at all! Everyone has to ask if they want to learn. There is so much I don't know it is not even funny!

BTW, the place I saw this arrangement used a lot was in model portfolio shots. I can't remember the guys name, but in LA there is a very successful still guy who does a vast volume in head shots for models. He works from his garage (no kidding), and uses the large open door as a big fill light. He puts a silver reflector (about 2' x 3' or a bit larger) on a grip head/arm from a C stand and places is low and almost flat as a reflector under the face of the model in front of his camera. He is shooting B&W. Aluminum foil on foamcore would do about the same thing (pre-crumpled of course).

Good Luck,

Cecil