Last Question on 300mm/f4, f4.5

marco_ritelli

Hi again, I'm at the last meter from the goal, but I need the last

advice.My options are the 300mm F4.5 ED-IF AI-S and the AF 300mm

F4.I mostly shoot wide open.I would like to buy from KEH or B&H.In

you opinion is it worth to buy an item in excellent+(KEH)/9(B&H)

condition or it's just a waste of money(about 100$) cause excellent

it's just enough...From the comments both stores are very good, do

you agree?Bye

I just bought a used Sigma 70-300mm APO from B&H for my D-70. You can really tell the lens body is used, but it does works.

However, even though it does work next time I'll spend the extra $50 bucks for a new one. I would not rate the lens in excellent condition, good yes, but excellent no.

BEWARE: I am almost positive that used gear takes way longer to ship than new stuff. This lens took about 4 business days to ship.

If you are going to use your gear, it will not remain cosmetically excellent, so why spend the money in advance for something that will not continue to "look good" over time.

Maybe it is just me, but I take some of my best photos with my ugliest gear. The need to "protect" it is gone, yet it functions perfectly, so it becomes the tool it is suppose to be rather than a thing to coddle.

I'd spend the 100 Dollars on film.

I'm not so up to date with the prices, but wouldn't it be smarter to get yourself a 200mm f2.8 ED IF AI AS AFS G D DX and a 1.4x converter, instead of just one 300mm f4.5 ED IF AIS?

That way you get a 200mm f2.8 ED IF AI AS AFS G D DX _and_ a 280mm(~300mm) f4 ED IF AI AS AFS G D DX. Two lenses for the price of one.

Edward, there is a small problem with your suggestion: there is no such lens as "200mm f2.8 ED IF AI AS AFS G D DX." In fact, Nikon has never made any 200mm/f2.8 lens for its 35mm SLRs. :-) There are, of course, 180mm/f2.8's that are pretty close.

If Marco's objective is to reach 300mm, I would say start with a 300mm/f4 or f4.5. You'll have the option to add a 1.4x TC later on if you need to reach a bit further. The 200mm focal length in probably best covered by some sort of 70/80-200mm zoom.

I've had pretty good luck with KEH bargain grade - from nearly new-looking to pretty beat up, but so far, at least, always working properly and with good glass. I'm guessing you'd find it difficult to tell the difference between KEH's excellent and ex+ grades, but make sure you read the description fully, because the inclusion (or omission) of things like hoods and caps and filters, especially on bigger lenses, can add up. With KEH, at least, unless it says "with," it's without.

<i>... but wouldn't it be smarter to get yourself a 200mm f2.8 ED IF AI AS AFS G D DX and a 1.4x converter ..."</i><p>

Setting aside the fact that such a lens does not yet exist (unless I missed something), if it did the combination of said lens and an AFS teleconverter is going to be much more expensive than a used 300mm. Also, I believe Marco is searching for a lens for his FE2, and any G lens will be next to useless.

<p>

Marco - go for the AF 300mm f/4. It is optically superior to the 300/4.5 ED-IF AI (which is a very good lens as well), is very well made, and has a decent MF feel. Should you upgrade to an AF 35mm or digital body in the future, you won't need to get a new lens. As for grade, if you buy from KEH anything EX or better will look nearly new. You don't need to spend the extra money for EX+ or LN-. As for B&H, I think their used grading is much more "optimistic", and an EX (8, 8+) from them is probably not equal to the EX from KEH.<p>Mike

All from collecting pop cans or selling a cat!

I looked at your work with this lens, Christopher, recently. Very nice! I appreciate folks buying gear to make the most of it. Keep up the good work!

One suggestion: perhaps you can sell some this to buy other gear instead of rummaging through backyards for soda cans? :-)

The 300 AF EDIF is one of my absolute favorites. Great performance w/ tc's and terrific for closeups w/ an ext. tube. AF is acceptably fast (for me), MF feel is good, easily portable for hiking (again...for me). KEH is a no risk proposition...you can return it if you aren't satisfied. I'd sell you mine, but I can't part with it.

Don't waste money buying a lens with a pristine finish if it's going to get heavy use. The barrel will only collect more scratches and wear over time, even if you are careful with your gear. Make sure the mechanics are sound and the glass is clean, and spend the extra cash on film or another lens.

I have the 300/4.5 IFED. It's decent wide open and very good when stopped down. It's terrible with my TC-14B teleconverter. If you are going to use TCs the AF 300/4 is reputed to work better. The main advantage of the 300/4.5 IFED is that it's very light and compact. Read the reviews here: http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

I'd go with whichever lens is generally regarded as being the better performer wide open, or nearly wide open. The few times I've photographed wildlife (which ain't often - not my thing), my lenses were rarely stopped down more than f/2.8. There just didn't ever seem to be enough light to ensure a reasonable shutter speed with slow film.