70-300 Canon 4-5,6 USM IS Lens

rogernoel

I just ordered this lens from B and H. I have been looking at it

forever it seems. I currently have these other lenses with the 300D.

Sigma 10-20mm, Quantaray 55-200, Canon kit lens 18-55mm and Canon 28-

135mm USM IS lens. I have been looking at prime lenses from Canon,

but am doubtful if I will go that route. I am considering a macro

lens for butterflies etc but I wonder if it would be better to

purchase the Canon 50mm 1.8 or even the 50 mm 1.4. Frankly I have a

50mm 1.5 Summarit lens for my Leica that I rarely used so the f stop

doesn't excite me. Comments or recommendations. Oh and what do I

shoot? Landscapes, Animals, Birds, Insects.

Doubtful that you've been looking at it for too long, as it was only released in October. Likely you were looking at it's older brother (75-300mm USM IS released 10 years earlier). I have been very pleased in the few weeks I've been shooting with this lens and I'm sure you will, too. Can't wait for spring and summer to really give it a workout.

As to the macro range, you should definitely consider the Canon 50mm f2.5 Macro. I have been reasonably pleased with the performance on my 10D and until I bought my 17-40mmL it was my normal walking around lens.<div>00EfOt-27193084.jpg.51a159fd190410c689e1f425fbe9d8bf.jpg</div>

I use a lot the 50/2.5 macro and it is one of my favorite lenses but it is not best suited for shooting little critters. Compared to USM focuses too slowly in the macro range and the working distance is not great. Taking the attached picture with it was quite a pain and the bug apparently didn't like the fuss. Was not harmed of course.

For butterflies you would be better off with the 100/2.8 macro. For flowers the 50/2.5 is perfect.<div>00EfUL-27196184.jpg.f79cedd005dcbe732523dbd326af27a2.jpg</div>

Thank you all for your comments. I guess my original post should have said what kind of a macro lens do I need. I have looked at the Sigma105mm f/2.8 EX Macro Autofocus and at about $380, it looks like a reasonable buy. I am sure that I should look at the Canon macro lenses also. Years ago I remember using close up lenses and combinations thereof and they never looked as good as the shots I see taken with macro lenses today.