advice for next lens, 70-200/2.8L IS vs 135/2L or other fast prime

ayn

Hi all, first post here. I currently have a 24-70/2.8L on my 20D, the 24-70 is my only lens

right now as I've sold all my non-L zooms from my 35mm days.

I photograph people mostly; portraits, glamour, fashion, art nudes, etc. My other hobby is

track so occasionally I'd like to photograph cars at the track when I volunteer as a corner

worker, but I don't do that very often.

I am looking at getting a new lens to take advantage of the triple rebate offers. I'd love to

have the 85/1.2L, but there is no rebate on that lens right now. I might also consider the

100/2.8 Macro.

I've always wanted the 70-200/2.8L IS, but for one, it's a bit expensive, and with my crop

factor I'm not sure how useful it'd be for portraits. The 135/2L seems nice, I can get a 1.4x

if I need a longer lens for track, and the 135/2L + 1.4x will still be less expensive than the

70-200/2.8L IS. But I might need the 70-135 range for some of my work. So I'm kindda

torn between these 2 lens. Any advice would be highly appreciated!

I don't know about the 135 but my new 70-200 2.8 L IS has fast become my favorite lens.

I can't believe how versitile this lens is and the images are tack sharp. I also have the 1.4

converter and with the 70-200 it makes for a very flexible system.<div>00Ac4D-21146784.thumb.jpg.0c4ba6084db22a57e8c30e5ab78252f7.jpg</div>

that is a cool picture, Steven.

A few questions:

Do you also have a 1.6x crop factor camera?

Do you find the lens too obnoxiously huge, especially with the hood on? Or does it feel

just right in your hands?

It is not a question of one vs. the other. One is a zoom, more versatile, the other is a fixed focal length lens. Both will give you very high optical quality.

If you are going to miss shots because of missing the 70-135 mm range, then your answer is right in front of you.

The IS function takes some getting used to. Makes you dizzy when it wobbles the picture while you're looking through the viewfinder. It also drains batteries, so switch it off when you don't need it.

As for your track shots, the Mode II of the IS will prove very useful for streaked/panned shots, if you don't already know it.

As with most long lenses, I don't use the matching lens hood. I use a shorter one. That makes it less bulky.

Overall, I'd say the 70-200mm f2.8 Canon IS lens is larger than many other (independent) 70-200 or 80-200 f2.8 lenses, such as the Tokina (manual focus) which I previously owned.

I think Canon is one of the few mfrs with faith in the 135mm focal length these days.

Thanks for all the replies, I have ordered the non-IS version of the 70-200. There is a

$150 Amazon cert offer for >$1k orders, after that, and the triple rebate, and my Amazon

Assoc kickback, it ended up being less than $800, can't beat that! :)

Me very happy, the lens should be here before the weekend. The 70-200/2.8L has been by

"dream lens" since I was in high school.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I didn't realize I don't really need IS until I read it

here, and $500 for something I would rarely used is a bit too much for me right now, so

decision was much easier. I would probably invest in a CF monopod.

-Andrew