Leica Rangefinder Polarizer

scott_squires

In the September Popular Photography,"Just out" section, Page 192, Leica has come out with a polarizer for the M camera that swivels up to the rangefinder so you can see how much polarizing you want and then swivels back down to the lens with the same effect. It would be a great addition for the Mamiya 7. People interested should make it known on the Mamiya Home page, Forum for the Mamiya 7. List price is $410.

Scott

The polarizer for the Leica rangefinders is simply clamped on the outside of the front lens ring, locked in place with a small thumbscrew, and so can be placed on in any rotational position. In use, it swings out exactly 180 degrees (to a stop) for viewing/setting, and then swings back in front of the lens for taking. While it may be set to stop in front of the viewfinder when swung out, I used to set mine (when I had one of the old ones) to stop above the camera body. For some reason I found this a more convenient way to use it than looking through the viewfinder. Obviously it could also be set to stop at any other position, such as below the camera body, if that proved more convenient.

<p>

The old device was really quite simple, and effective, and I assume the new one is just an update with some alternate-size attachment rings thrown in. They cost as much as they do because they are exquisitely made and finished (in the Black Forest by elves?) and are in (relatively) low demand. I don't know for sure but I doubt that the design is patented, and it should be possible for some enterprising soul to make a similar device for the Mamiyas with the proper size ring for the lens front. But it would be a custom job, and might well end up costing more than the Leitz product, even if not as well finished. OTOH, it is the most elegant way to fit a polarizer to a rangefinder camera.

Avoid viewing through a polarizer.

<p>

THe M6 and M7 already have a polarizer in the viewfinder as part of the RF system, so therefore what you see throuhg the VF is polarized and probably looks better than what you'll get on film without a polarizer.

<p>

Avoid the temptation to fit the Leica filter.

<p>

Do as I do and view through the polarizer held to your eye, then be sure to orient it the same way over the lens.

<p>

A pain but the correct way to do it.

<p>

KR