How many lens do you usually carry ?

min_wong1

When I'm going on a trip, I normally carry three lenses; 50mm, 85mm and 24mm. I use

the 50mm the most. It's wide enough without being too wide. I like to capture overall

scenes them move in tight with the 85mm.

I hardly use the 24mm. It's too wide for most things I want to shoot unless I want some

intentional distortion (the area of the focus point much larger than the rest of the scene;

shot at a close range). I take the 24mm anyway. The day that I dont take it will be the day

I need it.

My lowepro Nova 3 is filled with my 100-400L f4.5-5.6, <br>

100 f/2.8 macro, 50mm f/1.4, 17-40L f/4, 420ex, <br>

5 batteries, 3 CF cards, GPS & last but not least my <br>

tripod (tied to handles of bag).<br>

<br>

Now which do I use most... depends on where I am. <br>

Min Wong what do you usually carry?

For Hiking, 4 lens. A Wide Prime (I have a Tamron 17/3.5), A sharp midlevel zoom (28-75 2.8 Tamron), A light weight long zoom (EF70-300DO). A 90mm macro (I have a old series 1 Vivitar 90/2.5). A Mono-pod which I don't mind using it as a hiking stick. They all get use.

For Car: Pack it up.

<p>It depends on how much luggage I can get away with. The last couple of trips I was on, I had to travel light, and really only had room for the body (Elan 7E), flash (420EX), and 28-135. Once I go digital with a 1.6 crop body, travelling light will mean the body, flash, and the 17-40. Maybe the 50/1.4 as well, if I can find a compact camera bag that has room for it as well; my current small camera bag doesn't have room for the 50/1.4 with either the 28-135 or 17-40.</p>

<p>I'll also be looking for a bigger camera bag that fits within carryon limits (my photo backpack is too big, and while I've always been successful with it in the past, airlines are getting a lot pickier about oversized carryons these days so it would be risky) so that I have room for more stuff. Ideally, if space permits, I'd take the whole kit - body, flash, 17-40, 28-135, 50/1.4, and 300/4 IS (eventually to be replaced with 70-200/2.8 IS). You just never know when an opportunity will occur to use a lens that you left at home to save space, so if you have room for everything, take everything.</p>

Backpacking, Canon 10-22 and 28-135 IS (20D body)

In a vehicle on vacation: all of 'em the two above and 100-300, 300/4 IS, 50 1.8, 1.4 and 2x TCs, and EOS 1n film body. Why leave anything at home, they're too small and light in the overall scheme of things to be without what you might need

I use the 28-135 IS the most, 50 1.8 the least, and use a Mountaninsmith Phantom backpack

For a national park, a EOS 650 film body w/ 15-30mm Sigma and a 300D w/ a 170-500 Sigma, the EF-S 18-55 and the 28mm & 50mm because they just so light and small anyhow. There's also a 70-300 Sigma that finds it's way in as a backup as well.

90% of the time, it's the 170-500 @ the 500mm end.

I have a LowePro Mini Trekker AW backpack that holds all my photo gear:

dSLR (currently 20D), flash (420EX), 17-40, 24-85, 50/2.5, 85/1.8, 70-200/4, TC 1.4x

plus all the lens hoods, as well as a few accessories like spare batteries, CF cards, microfiber cloth, bulb blower, etc.

The kit is compact and efficient, so I take it "everywhere."

If I'm only going to be using one lens and no external flash, I'll switch to my LowePro TopLoader Zoom. If I just need a couple of lenses and/or the external flash, then I use my LowePro Nova 3, which will easily hold up to four of my lenses (including the one mounted on the body), plus flash.