usb vs usb 2.0 for scanner interface

Chris,

<p>What Beau said, but I should point out that it probably won't be any slower than a USB 1.0 device plugged into your iMac. The USB 2.0 scanner will just dummy down to USB 1.0 speeds (which are still way faster than the paralel port scanner I just tossed in the dumpster...)

<p>Jordan R. Urie

I used a Nikon V scanner with a G3 iBook with USB 1.1 ports. It wasn't a big deal time-

wise to me, but I'm not the impatient type...

You can start with the iMac/Dimage combo and at some point you are likely to upgrade

the iMac and then it won't be an issue any more.

And if one of your friends has a Mac with USB 2.0 you can see for yourself how much

faster USB 2.0 is than USB 1.1 in the real world, and whether the difference matters to

you.

It's too bad that scanner manufacturers have tended to ignore Firewire, which is superior

to USB 2.0 speed-wise and is bootable, whereas USB 2.0 cannot be used to connect an

external bootable drive and a Mac. Even Nikon has opted to use USB 2.0 instead of

Firewire (at least in the Nikon Coolscan V.)

Do you want to boot from your scanner ?

Well every PC on earth has USB now and few have FireWire (only Macs and recent PCs) so don't expect FW scanners... anyway a scanner is a lot slower than a harddisk for instance, so it wouldn't benefit from the firewire... and the FW chips being one dollar more expensive than the USB chips, that's something important to the manufacturers !

I have a Canoscan Lide 50 which is USB 1.1 ... it is actually SLOWER when plugged in a USB2 port. Go figure. On the other hand there are USB2 scanners which are very very fast.

Also, yes, your USB 1.1 iMac is gonna be able to use a new USB2 scanner, it will just be slower if you scan full pages at 300dpi. However, most "USB2" scanners are in fact "USB2 full-speed" which means USB 1.1 so you might lose absolutely nothing... the real USB2 is "USB2 high speed" (or is it the reverse ? I never remember. Damn marketing droids).

Chris,

The cost of a USB 2.0 card is only about $25. I bought a five-port Belkin card (the one

listed as being 'approved/compatible' by Minolta for the 5400/II) for $24.95. Not much

harm in trying it. Just make sure you get the proper card for your machine. Do you need a

low-profile card?

Check www.belkin.com